Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NJGD: LP Junior (sort of)

New Junky Guitar Day!

I bought this at a pawn shop in Sulphur, LA back in November when it became clear that my one-week startup at a (Where else?) chemical plant was going to be a lot longer. It gave me something to do over the Thanksgiving weekend and evenings at the hotel for the remainder of my 3 1/2 week stay. Then I took the neck off, stuck the pieces in my suitcase, and brought it home. (With a 2-week layover in Houston while I recovered from COVID-19.)

It's a typical $99 big-box-store guitar: thin body, bolt on maple neck with scarf joint peghead, tiny metric electronics. But it seemed to have good bones and I figured all it needed was some decent hardware and a good setup.

Over the last week, I've been turning it into a player. Out with the cheap humbucker, in with a GFS Mean 90. I've always wanted a single-P90 guitar and now I have one. I bought a set of used Grovers off one of the forums, and they turned out to be auto-locking. Unexpected, but kinda cool. The original lighting-bolt bridge was inexplicably designed for a wound G and wouldn't intonate with my usual Slinky 10s. So, a cheap adjustable bridge was obtained from Amazon, along with a couple of CTS pots. A Switchcraft jack, couple of gold speed knobs, and two Fender strap buttons (with beer washers) from the parts drawer, and we'll call it done.

It's a snotty little rock 'n' roll machine. When I pick it up, it makes me play "Stiff Competition".
    Last edited by Rich_S; 01-30-2021, 06:28 PM.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

That whole story is so rock and roll. Nice guitar.

Comment

I traded for something similar last year (labeled as a Talent by Gibson), but have done nothing with it yet. When I determined the body was a solid piece of wood, instead of plywood like many of the Epi Jr's, I slipped it in the project stack instead of flipping it. Even the neck seems to be decent on it. I know the Asian pickup and electronics will be crap - but that's an expected upgrade. I have high hopes for it.

Good luck with yours.
      Last edited by ICTGoober; 01-30-2021, 10:04 PM.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
      X