I'm embarrassed to admit this, but

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm embarrassed to admit this, but

It wasn't until very recently, and after years of off/on shopping for them, that I realized there were two distinctly different body shapes for the Flying V. I knew there were various control configurations, and pickguard shapes, and that only some of them had that cool V-shaped plate behind the bridge, but I never noticed the difference in the shape of the wood until a couple of weeks ago

Click image for larger version  Name:	58 V.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.2 KB ID:	6055132 Click image for larger version  Name:	67 V.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	6055133
    Last edited by St_Genesius; 02-08-2021, 02:32 PM.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

News to me too

Comment

I can see the difference at the shoulders above the neck pickup, am I missing anything else. By the way , of the two, I like the looks of the yellow one best.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

later models had more of a neck join

Comment

AFAIK, it's just the shape of the neck join/ shoulders.

I don't mind the extra shoulders on the '67, but all of the other changes were, imo, for the worse. They lost the cool tailpiece, totally effed up the control layout and made an...okay...pickguard shape WAY clunkier.

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
          I can see the difference at the shoulders above the neck pickup, am I missing anything else. By the way , of the two, I like the looks of the yellow one best.
          Last edited by St_Genesius; 02-08-2021, 03:23 PM.
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

There were 2 different body thicknesses, too.... Some were only as thick as an SG, others as thick as a Telecaster or non-carved Les Paul.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I wonder if the sturdier neck joint was due to breakage? Or just a normal re-design.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What doesn't show is that the originals (along with the Heritage series reissues and boutique builds) have a long tenon neck.
                Doesn't affect actual tone character much (if at all) but it's sturdier and it ordinarily makes for a livelier guitar.

While I bought a korina Moderne in '82, I've never owned a Vee. Didn't realize some were thinner.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I got an Epi Snow Falcon (67 shape, but a lot of other weirdnesses) for Xmas and have been so impressed by it I keep thinking about getting one of their '58s as well.

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                  What doesn't show is that the originals (along with the Heritage series reissues and boutique builds) have a long tenon neck.
                  Doesn't affect actual tone character much (if at all) but it's sturdier and it ordinarily makes for a livelier guitar.

While I bought a korina Moderne in '82, I've never owned a Vee. Didn't realize some were thinner.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I wonder if the sturdier neck joint was due to breakage? Or just a normal re-design.
                    In my experience, a thicker neck join improves tuning stability while playing. If I merely lean forward with my '65 Firebird (reissue), it goes out of tune. With an SG with the thicker neck join, it's stable no matter how you throw it around.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

In my experience, a thicker neck join improves tuning stability while playing. If I merely lean forward with my '65 Firebird (reissue), it goes out of tune. With an SG with the thicker neck join, it's stable no matter how you throw it around.
                      Yeah, I was just wondering if stability was an issue that frequently came up.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

THRASH HIM!!!!!

Comment

Neither of those v's are pointy enough.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                            It wasn't until very recently, and after years of off/on shopping for them, that I realized there were two distinctly different body shapes for the Flying V. I knew there were various control configurations, and pickguard shapes, and that only some of them had that cool V-shaped plate behind the bridge, but I never noticed the difference in the shape of the wood until a couple of weeks ago

Click image for larger version Name:	58 V.jpg Views:	0 Size:	31.2 KB ID:	6055132 Click image for larger version Name:	67 V.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.7 KB ID:	6055133
                            Don't feel bad, I've owned several vintage V's and noticed slight shoulder and thickness differences between a few but never put 2 and 2 together in any kind of knowledgeable sense.
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I probably should have specified that I was talking about Gibson (and direct descendents of their V designs). Obviously, other companies have made much more noticeable alterations to the shape of the body.

To the best of y recollection, the only pointier V I've actually played was a Jackson Rhoads. It seemed truly UNSUSTAINABLY pointy. Like there was no way I wasn't gonna blunt those tips by banging into something. It was also nearly as uncomfortable for me to play seated as most people say the normal V is.

Of course, now that I'm middle aged and getting thicker by the year, the more obvious choice would be the Kerry King V...

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Neither of those v's are pointy enough.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by St_Genesius; 02-10-2021, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X