Greasebucket + Coil Split cap/resistor values question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasebucket + Coil Split cap/resistor values question

I have the greasebucket circuit on my American Jazzmaster, and I love it. I just bought a Seymour Duncan SH-2n Jazz (neck), and SH-4 JB (bridge) humbuckers to install in my Schecter S1+. It's a 1 volume, 2 tone setup.

I'm going to coil-split it (I know, coil-splitting sucks, don't do it).

The Fender greasebucket circuit involves a 0.1 cap, 0.022 cap, 4.7k resistor. But it seems to be made for singe-coils with 250k pots. Is there a problem with:
    1. Humbucker with 500k pot
    2. Single coil (sort of) with 500k pot
    In other words, do I need to change any of the cap or resistor values to accommodate for a split humbucker with a 500k tone pot?

(I know that the greasebucket doesn't actually work the way that Fender describes it. I know it cuts highs and lows together, instead of just cutting highs, thus emphasizing mids as the tone is turned down. I just wanted to get that out of the way. It's totally cool if you think the greasebucket sucks. I'm still doing it.)

The problem the grease bucket circuit solves is typically a single coil into 250k pot problem. A humbucker wouldn’t really benefit so much from that particular circuit. A JB/Jazz into a 500k wouldn’t benefit from it. IME, JB/Jazz have a totally different frequency response from a single coil, and with a 500k wouldn’t exhibit the treble roll off while turning down that singles with a 250k have.

Comment

It might help when split
      I have the JB/Jazz is several guitars
      With the triple shot rings

They sound fine without the circuit

Try it without then see if there is something missing that the grease bucket may add

The JB/Jazz set are really particular about where they sit under the strings

Set the JB about 1/8 inch under to start and twerk to taste. Then volume balance the Jazz to match

I did this with my Gibson with the volume at 3/4s up

Now it growls wide open and cleans up when I turn it down just a bit
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
      X