Old friend from Miami

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old friend from Miami

So, back in '85 I put together a nice axe for a good friend and client when I was still doing service for a big music store in Wichita. Used a Warmoth body, a Performance neck, a pair of Duncan Distortions, and the obvious Kahler trem. He used it playing live and on recordings before moving to Miami for a better job (with Univision?).

Anyway - he needed it squared away and contacted me about working on it. Of course, I said yes. He shipped it to me a month ago, needed a fret level and action set, clean up the Kahler, touch up the dings and chips, and make the neck smooth and satiny once again. Someone else installed the EMG HSS setup years ago - wasn't me. Anyway - it's back together and playing silky smooth again. Will box it up soon and entrust it to the tender mercies of UPS.

Originally it had a 3 way Gibson style pickup selector, but a 5 way Strat switch was installed at the same time as the EMG's. The switch plate was rectangular and superglued to the body. Double sided tape held the switch to the plate because the slot was too large, and the switch was just floating. I managed to pull off the plate to round off the ends, and bevel them a bit for a nicer look. Added the correct screws to hold in the switch, and secure the plate to the body. Much better now!

There was no relief in the body to adjust the truss rod, someone had gouged a hole there that looked nasty. I used a Dremel to enlarge it and smooth it all out, then applied a super glue finish and buffed it out to protect the maple and match the original lacquer finish I had sprayed so long ago.

Somewhere in a box I have pictures of Pablo holding this when new. I'll have to dig them out and scan them.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 03-11-2021, 04:46 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Never seen a Kahler in place up close before... why don't more people use these?

Comment

One name - Van Halen. He pretty much made the Floyd Rose the whammy of choice. In my opinion, Floyd Rose should have been paying Edward Van Halen a half-mill per year just because. Before EVH hit the scene, the most well known player of Floyds was Randy Hansen, and he didn't influence many people imitating Hendrix.

Comment

Also, didn't EVH basically help improve the design by introducing microtuners or is that just one of those schoolyard lies?

Well... I'm not sure if that actually improved the design, it probably improved it for him, but whatever.

Comment

Never heard that before, but I know a BUNCH of people were complaining early on. I installed the first Floyds (and Kahlers) in Kansas, and did not like that Floyds were poorly made (especially the first locking nut). If you tightened down the strings, it would make one string go sharp, and the other flat. Took quite awhile to get the first Floyds in tune before fine tuners were added. My guess is they were inspired by fine tuners on violins. All they had to do was add a string lock behind the nut and it would still work, plus you could set the action at the nut per normal.

That is the main reason why guitar repair guys HATE the Floyd. I have other reasons to hate them, too long to list here. The first Floyds used wood screws for the fulcrum points, and the wood would crack or get chewed up - especially in alder bodies. Using inserts and studs helped a lot. Floyds are a poor design, and not well made compared to Kahlers.

Yet, because the holy EVH used them - people tend to think it's the only choice for whammy bars. I like Trev Wilkinson VS100s with locking tuners - works great, well made.

Comment

I miss the guitar that I had with a Khaler. 80's vintage Carvin V220.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
                Also, didn't EVH basically help improve the design by introducing microtuners or is that just one of those schoolyard lies?

Well... I'm not sure if that actually improved the design, it probably improved it for him, but whatever.
                I have heard this too. No idea if it’s true, but I’ve definitely heard it.

Comment

Working...
                X