Incoming NGD... Stratty Content!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming NGD... Stratty Content!

Last evening I ordered a Squire Classic Vibe 60's in Lake Placid Blue and a SKB gig bag from Sweetwater. I'd been going back and forth with changing the pickguard on my old frankenstrat to 3 single-coils or HSS but after my wife saw pics of this Classic Vibe, she said order it. I've read/heard nothing but good about these. It'll primarily be used with the church worship group. Delivery date right now is for Thursday. I was very happy to see they had 4 to choose from when I ordered so I went with the lightest weight one at 7lbs 2oz. The fingerboard is darker too making it look more like rosewood. They use laurel for the fingerboards now. LPB is one of my favorite colors on a Strat. Can't wait to get it. Though I have mostly all humbucker guitars, and have struggled with Fender single-coils over the years with the exception of a few sets, I will make myself work to keep this one SSS. First thing to do when it gets here will be a full setup including smoothing the nut slots, inspecting the frets (level and polish if necessary), and fresh strings that I like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ISSL20001390-front-xlarge.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	6067426
    Last edited by ErikH; 03-23-2021, 06:20 PM.

Good stuff. Always a good time to get another Strat, and if you wire one of the tone knobs to the bridge pickup, it’ll make dealing with the single coil a lot easier.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Sweet guitar and a wonderful woman you have.

Comment

That's bound to be an amazing guitar...congrats!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks. If I need to, moving the middle tone control to the bridge is an option and I'll probably increase the tone cap to .047uf at the same time and leave the middle pickup without a tone control. I've done wiring like that before but with a .1uf tone cap like the Eric Johnson Strat for both tone controls. It's a nice wiring setup actually.

I was pretty shocked when she said order it. I had to make sure it wasn't a trap....LOL.

Though I use 9-42 on my main players, I might put 10-46 on this one. I'll see how I like it with 9's for a bit first.

Comment

I’d leave the cap at a smaller value. I don’t like them when they get too dark, an like a .022 will make almost the entire range usable.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Congrats on the new toy. Those are cool. Just did a complete refit in the electronics on my 94 Washburn Silverado today and used the set up with tone for neck and bridge and open in the middle like it so far.
              Guitars
              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

So, according to the specs on the Fender site, the lower tone control is for the bridge and middle pickups so I may not have to change anything there. I like that. There is a very good chance that I'll throw some Gotoh vintage style locking tuners on it though.
                Last edited by ErikH; 03-24-2021, 11:10 AM.

Comment

That's a great looking strat. Lake Placid Blue is one of my favorite finishes. I have 2 Squires that have the Indian Laurel fretboard and I really like it. Looks and feels like Rosewood. I've been considering picking up this guitar for awhile. I could use another strat in my collection.

Comment

The guitar has landed. Now, how many of you actually follow the advice that they put on the box to not open it for 24 hours? Temp here is pretty much steady the last few days and temp outside isn't much different from inside the house. It literally came from the truck and in to the house. Our kitten is quite curious about the contents. I think he just wants a new box to play in...LOL. The other 2 cats don't give a crap...LOL.

Comment

I don't think anyone ever waits 24 hrs to unbox their new guitar. Unbox that sucker asap and let us know what you think with pics.

Comment

Very cool!
                        I decided that my main church guitar is my strat too. I have a HSS but it gets plenty of different tones.

Comment

I think 30 minutes is long enough. It has a poly finish, not nitro. Pics to come.

Comment

This thing rings like a bell. Wow. Really great work. Fit and finish is excellent. The fret work is really great for an import. The edges are already rolled over. Neck relief is perfect, action I need to lower and get it set up how I like it. I'll polish the frets as well. No dead spots anywhere so they are nice and level. The pots and switch feel nice and sturdy. The tuners are solid, the bridge looks and feels good. I mean, really, for a little more than $400, this is a great value.

Will get pics posted later. Gotta get them uploaded somewhere or resize them before posting.
                            Last edited by ErikH; 03-25-2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

What kind of pickups come with it?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X