24 fret extender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24 fret extender

This is a bass guitar question, but I'm posting here because more folks will see it and the theory should apply to guitars as well.

Looking to brainstorm some ways to extend my Fender P Bass up to 24 frets on the G string without modifying the instrument... It would seem a simple enough task - find a bass guitar fingerboard with frets 21-24 and shape\fit the piece appropriately - but before I go spending $ I thought I'd check with the knowledge base here. Has anybody done something like this, or seen something similar?

My crude idea so far is to buy a 24 fret bass neck, lop off the top 4 frets, and attach this piece to the pickguard. There would definitely be some shaping of the piece to get the dimensions right. Wouldn't need to be perfect, just close enough for solo entertainment.
    Last edited by alex1fly; 04-04-2021, 01:32 PM.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

On a 22 fret super strat, I wanted to do something similar. I glued a brass rod to the top of the single coil neck pickup.

It kinda worked. There was no 23rd fret, but that was ok because the song I was working on didn't use it.

But the truth is, you can ghost fret at the 24th fret if its a picked note and there isn't any actual fret. It won't have sustain, but it can get you by.

If I were to do it again, I would use harder material, maybe a stainless steel rod. The brass rod tone was hollow. Actually, scratch that. I wouldn't ever do it again. My 24 fret guitars not outnumber my 22s.

You can probably fabricate something that uses the neck pickup/cavity.

Comment

I would think the more stable way would be to use a 24-fret neck, replace the truss and shave back the join to the body underneath the fretboard. Or alternatively, replace the fretboard on your stock neck with one the extends over the pickguard.

I am not a guitar builder or luthier, however. ICTGoober would likely have the right solution of what to do.
      Last edited by beaubrummels; 04-04-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah. You realize you could buy a fingerboard off eBay?

Or have a good luthier make something like this and put it on your bass?
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

For the price of modding the fretboard
          you could buy a custom neck and just bolt it on

It is a Fender

Change back if you dont like it
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Double-stick tape a piece of appropriately sized wood onto your pickguard, and fret it. This should cost very little, won’t require you to buy a neck, and will result in the same thing.

Similarly, I spoke with a luthier about adding a bass ramp to my Warwick fretless, with a single fret to get a “better” slap tone.

Is there any particular reason you only want the added range on the G?
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

adding the extra frets to a Warmoth build is only 25 bucks
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                Similarly, I spoke with a luthier about adding a bass ramp to my Warwick fretless, with a single fret to get a “better” slap tone.

Is there any particular reason you only want the added range on the G?
                What'd they come back with regarding the ramp?

I'll only use the added range on the G probably - just want a few more notes out of the high range of the instrument.

Looks like there's some cheap fingerboards and necks on ebay. Probably needs to be a 24 fret model to get the fret spacing right, right? Fingerboards are cheaper and seem to have fret slots, no frets. Necks would require a good deal of sanding and sawing to fit right. Or fret a chunk of wood... or find a local luthier interested in getting weird with me. Interesting thoughts.
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face

Comment

slotted 24 fret board is where id start

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

What'd they come back with regarding the ramp?
                    He said he could do it. I’m positive I could rig something up, as well.

How often do you play in the lower range on the G? An easier alternative might be using a thinner string and tuning it a whole step up. That would give you two more frets, and make the interval a 5th, which shouldn’t be tough to navigate.

You’d “lose” the open G and 1st fret G#, which are still easily found on the 5th and 6th D string frets.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

that would mess me up hardcore

Comment

What about fastening a chunk of neck, or fingerboard to the pickguard? What are some good ways to do that? Glue, tape, screws, magnets...

Comment

I always figured everything over the 6th fret on a bass guitar was just for show.

Seriously though . . . I agree with JB. Can you just tune tune the G up a step and use the frets you've got? Adding a couple extra frets sounds hella difficult and probably pretty damaging to the value of the guitar for very minimal benefit. I'd be inclined to buy a new guitar rather than do this.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

How about tuning the bass in fifths? E B F# C# would give you 6 extra high frets on the top end.

If you go to Talk Bass, you’ll find a lot of bass players don’t use the same tuning as the guitarist. Lots of them tune down a whole step for everything, and no ones the wiser.

When I started playing mandolin, getting used to the intervals being fifths was a lot easier to get used to than you’d think.

Comment

Good ideas. I do worry about changing the tuning of the EAD strings because of the muscle memory factor (and fewer mistakes when performing = good) but the G string is more of a solo string anyways. So the G could get tuned up. Certainly easier than slapping some extra fingerboard on.

Comment

Working...
                              X