banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Great for chords, flat for leads....whaaaa????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    I would bet that guitar is naturally slightly scooped in tone is what it is. probably slightly muted in the 1-2 khz area
    I've read descriptions of basswood as a tonewood having dulled Highs and pronounced Low Mids, whereas what your describing is dulled Mids.

I had a basswood Ibanez RG that had the dulled highs/pronounced low Mids going on.

I eventually gave up on it after several pickup swaps.

I also tried using a graphic EQ pedal to compwnsate but it wasn't enough, at least for my ears.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Is the Floyd a POS?

have you tried any pickups with pronounced mids, like maybe a JB?

Also, have you tried playing with string gauge?
      Last edited by Adieu; 04-06-2021, 07:07 AM.
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post

I've read descriptions of basswood as a tonewood having dulled Highs and pronounced Low Mids, whereas what your describing is dulled Mids.

I had a basswood Ibanez RG that had the dulled highs/pronounced low Mids going on.

I eventually gave up on it after several pickup swaps.

I also tried using a graphic EQ pedal to compwnsate but it wasn't enough, at least for my ears.
        Yeah, worth a shot -sounds like you covered it.

Also, any description of a wood based on species is dubious except as a starting point anyways -as the density and grain of woods is so personal to so many factors, like how moist the season was, if it was grown in a riparian zone or not, adjacent tree cover and competition (forcing tree to shed limbs faster, fortify and grow tall faster) etc etc

I could argue that different species growing in the same place adjacent will be more tonally similar sometimes than the same species grown in 2 different places.
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

It’s probably the Floyd. How many springs do you have on it? Some of them suck the life out of guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well, it's an Agile so the Floyd is probably very low dollar. The whole guitar only cost four and a half. I'm sure the electronics are crap as well. I do have some good electronics to put in it, although I need some caps, and I do have a JB in the old box so if I don't sell it, I may put in new electronics and the JB. I never did put the A8 magnet in the C5, but I've still got a few pickups I can try like the JB, a Super Distorion, a Super II, etc. It plays great, but it wouldn't be in my top 2 guitars. My best playing and hottest sounding believe it or not is my Jackson JS32T Rhoads which plays like a dream and just has "that" sound with a custom custom neck and C8 bridge. Then come my three Lesters, two gibbies and an epi. Then my Chibson SG which I've had for many, many years. The Agile has a feel of its own, and has a very nice quality to it, but if I had to sell it, it's not like I don't have others that could make me forget about it.
            My songs....enjoy! (hopefully )

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=652921
            or for older stuff too, but slower downloads
            http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=301569&T=7414

Originally posted by DankStar
            700 watts is ok for small clubs, but when you play with a loud drummer or at a medium-large sized venue, you really need 1,500-watts at least. no one should be left alive.

Comment

Working...
            X