Wretched POS hardware....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wretched POS hardware....

I have one of those cheap Chinese headless guitars - copy of a fan fretted Strandberg. The trem system is absolute crap. Observe....

That long steel screw goes through the aluminum body of what I call the receiver - the trem mounts to it, balanced on 2 fulcrum points by the spring. The long steel screw allows the travel and tension of the trem. Problem? The aluminum threads in the receiver stripped out because of the tension. How to fix that?

The trem didn't work that well anyway, so I think I will drill holes through the holes cast in the trem for the trem bars, and screw them directly into the body. I'll need to put a spacer underneath to maintain the desired position.

Anyone have questions or solutions more elegant than mine?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

you can order those from Aliexpress
    or Amazon

what does it say on front something like Master of Tone or Overlord of Tone

search that

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280...c&gclsrc=aw.ds

scrolling thru the images on the link
    and you can see the stripped out screws on the underside in the promotion photos
    LOL

EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wretched indeed.

I wonder if an appropriately sized (steel) captive nut with the right thread would work.

On a similar principle, having a nut with washers at the end to act as a stop for the spring might also do the trick, kinda like the Red Special's trem (other good hi-res pics at theredspecial.com).
      Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 04-23-2021, 02:00 PM.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        I have one of those cheap Chinese headless guitars - copy of a fan fretted Strandberg. The trem system is absolute crap. Observe....

That long steel screw goes through the aluminum body of what I call the receiver - the trem mounts to it, balanced on 2 fulcrum points by the spring. The long steel screw allows the travel and tension of the trem. Problem? The aluminum threads in the receiver stripped out because of the tension. How to fix that?

The trem didn't work that well anyway, so I think I will drill holes through the holes cast in the trem for the trem bars, and screw them directly into the body. I'll need to put a spacer underneath to maintain the desired position.

Anyone have questions or solutions more elegant than mine?
        you can put a steel insert
        Riv Nut is the brand

I have installed them on plastic and and other enclosures

I replaced the License plate mounts and the truck box mounts with the 1/4 -20 version

https://www.amazon.com/Snug-Fastener...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

find the size of the bolt
        over size the hole to fit the insert

you can use the installation tool or steel bolt and nut
        put the bolt in backwards with the nut on the flanged side of the insert and tighten
        the insert will deform to wedge in hole

just enough to seat it in the hole

here is an assortment

Last edited by ehdwuld; 04-23-2021, 02:15 PM.
        EHD

Comment

Ehdwuld - why in the hell would I buy an identical POS?

Has anyone figured out by looking at the pictures yet that the tapered part goes into the recess in the trem? Picture 4.

It's just a poor design, and then manufactured poorly. Modding it with an insert is an idea I must ponder. I think ACE has those nuts.
          Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-23-2021, 02:32 PM.

Comment

if you hork it up with the insert

you can get another

dang you are a belligerent soul

good luck let me know if you need any help
            EHD

Comment

Checked out ACE, decided not to buy those rivnuts. I measured the 2 trem bar holes for depth, and they both lack about 3/32" of going through the entire trem tuning assembly. Easy enough to drill them out for screws slightly smaller than the trem bar, install 2 wooden spacers under the rear of the assembly, and screw it down onto the 2 fulcrum points and the two blocks. It will be solid, rigid, and completely reversible in the future should I (or someone else) decide to repair the stripped hole where the tension adjustment goes. Will work on that this afternoon if I can (Dad is sick in bed since Wednesday evening), and will take pix to illustrate my mod.

Took the stock pickups out for now (they sounded pretty good - Artec units, I think). Might put in some Bill Lawrence L500's for a clean, beefy tone that can be tapped, flipped out of phase, or run both units in series for a boost in volume and bass response. The guitar itself is quite light, and playable after I leveled the frets awhile back. Got used to the fanned frets immediately.

Comment

Here we go. I used 2 dowels .425 tall glued in place with white Elmers.

Next - tuning assembly screwed down tight. Took me 20 minutes to mod the trem and screw it down.

Saddles and strings installed. All done, tuned to pitch, intonated, the whole ball of wax. Plays great.

The rear view.

Comment

Is it worth trying to replace that bridge eventually with something better?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

What would you suggest, Dave? Did you see the size and shape of the cavity?

Comment

Heres a different one that might fit

Its the one the use on the new EART

US $51.07 47%OFF | Guitar Tremolo Bridge Tailpiece Roller Saddle Headless Guitar Parts Accessories

Look at this one

US $63.50 16%OFF | 6 String Roller saddle Tremolo Bridge Tailpiece for Headless Guitar Replacement

i like this one

US $108.00 | ALP 6 String Headless Travel Electric Guitar Bridge W-1016

Last edited by ehdwuld; 04-24-2021, 10:55 PM.
                      EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        Heres a different one that might fit

Its the one the use on the new EART

US $51.07 47%OFF | Guitar Tremolo Bridge Tailpiece Roller Saddle Headless Guitar Parts Accessories

Look at this one

US $63.50 16%OFF | 6 String Roller saddle Tremolo Bridge Tailpiece for Headless Guitar Replacement

i like this one

US $108.00 | ALP 6 String Headless Travel Electric Guitar Bridge W-1016
                        These look like great suggestions, provided they fit the weird cavity.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I think the first one will

The last one he may have to do the luthier thing under it
                          EHD

Comment

I'll play it like this for awhile. No big hurry. Thanks for your suggestions.. Yes, the last one might not fit without removing more wood.

Comment

Working...
                            X