Wood and Guitar Buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood and Guitar Buying

How much does the wood used on guitars effect your guitar buying? Is there a certain wood you always want and look for? Or does it even matter?

I seem to always look for a mahogany or maple body when considering buying a new guitar first. But I have had good experiences with basswood, poplar, and alder guitars.

As for the fingerboard wood used, I like ebony. But maple and rosewood isn't far behind.

These days, I favor guitars where you can see the grain and tend to avoid solid colors; but I will always go by the sound. If it makes a million-dollar sound I'm looking for, I don't care what wood it is or what it looks like.

Comment

the variations in wood make some guitars from the same species much different
      I think the wood in the neck has much more affect on tone Maple/Mahogany
      laminated necks are awesome as they are consistent or at least more consistent

with that said I find the Ash Gibson LP that I have sounds like an LP even with the Maple neck

I have two Mahogany LPs that sound and play great
      to me its about the weight
      I like the lighter more resonant guitars

you can get that in weight relieved or species versions

I like my basswood RGs
      and my mystery wood Ehdwuld custom builds ( probably basswood )

I think if I build my own I would use a super dry pine for the body
      a pine neck that is alternating grain laminated together with graphite rods sounds awesome to me as well

EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

and my mystery wood Ehdwuld custom builds ( probably basswood )
        You mean you don't specify the woods on your custom builds?

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

In an electric guitar the type of wood doesn't matter at all. There exists maple that's dark, and maple that's bright. There exists mahogany that's dark, and mahogany that's bright. There exists ash that's dark, and ash that's bright. Wood varies too much from piece to piece to be able to know that one species of wood will sound a certain way. What matters are the particular pieces of wood that are used to build a guitar.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Pickup choice can take the tone and attack wherever you need it, but for me the guitar's balance (meaning; not neck heavy) is the main issue.
            Personally I don't want the need for moving strap buttons of adding/subtracting weight just to get a well balanced guitar.
            Body-heavy is what I like best, but a nicely balanced light guitar is great for long sessions.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

You mean you don't specify the woods on your custom builds?
              of course
              but it is built in China
              and the last one was super light for mahogany
              but it is super thin as well
              I am sure it is a species of Mahogany but not the one we commonly use
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Wood matters to me in that it is light and balanced. After that, all I care about is how it sounds.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I am familiar with the core attributes of most woods and combos used. That said, each guitar is different and unique. If the guitar plays and sounds appealing to me then I am not concerned with what woods are used. If I am doing a custom build I am going to have to pick woods that have a typical sound to them. Custom builds are always a bit of a risk because there is no guarantee you are going to get a great guitar whereas walking in and playing a bunch of guitars may yield a great find.
                  The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

of course
                    but it is built in China
                    and the last one was super light for mahogany
                    but it is super thin as well
                    I am sure it is a species of Mahogany but not the one we commonly use
                    If you believe THAT, I have a bridge in Brooklyn.....
                    More likely it's made of agathis or another wood the Asian makers use instead of mahogany.

For your next custom, try an American maker why don't you? Don't talk to me about money, either - there are guys who make stuff for less money and better quality than Gibson, etc.

If you want good Chinese stuff buy an Eastman.
                    Last edited by ICTGoober; 04-25-2021, 10:09 PM.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      In an electric guitar the type of wood doesn't matter at all. There exists maple that's dark, and maple that's bright. There exists mahogany that's dark, and mahogany that's bright. There exists ash that's dark, and ash that's bright. Wood varies too much from piece to piece to be able to know that one species of wood will sound a certain way. What matters are the particular pieces of wood that are used to build a guitar.
                      Your premise isn't true. Although there is variation within type and overlap between types, there are still general similarities within types. For example, a poplar body won't ever sound or play like a maple body. It's physically impossible. Poplar is light and swamped with mids. Maple is heavy and focused and it feels like you're playing a stone as the attack is extremely immediate.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

I also tend to agree with the generally accepted tonal attributes of the commonly used guitar woods. They ring true far more often than not, or at least they have with all my guitars past and present. That's what pickup selection is for IMO, to take that tone/EQ and attack to wherever you want it to be.

Comment

Now that many different types of wood are labelled "mahogany"...
                          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Your premise isn't true. Although there is variation within type and overlap between types, there are still general similarities within types. For example, a poplar body won't ever sound or play like a maple body. It's physically impossible. Poplar is light and swamped with mids. Maple is heavy and focused and it feels like you're playing a stone as the attack is extremely immediate.
                            Next you'll be telling me that different type capacitors of the same measured value sound different.

You could probably argue that on average the properties of wood that you're describing are true. If you want a mid-heavy guitar, going with a mahogany body and mahogany neck is probably more likely to get you there than an ash body maple neck guitar. But you don't play guitars on average though - you play unique/individual guitars. That's why the only thing that matters is the specific piece of wood you're using.

As far as unplugged sound goes - I've ended up with a maple neck/ash guitar that's very warm sounding and a mahogany bodied guitar that's extremely bright and snappy. These should not exist according to the 'lore of tonewood'. But they do, because what matters as far as unplugged sound goes is the particular piece of wood you've got - not the species. Fortunately, none of that really matters anyway . . . as the pickups you choose alter the sound more radically than the wood. I popped some warm sounding humbuckers in the mahogany guitar and it sounds thick/dark plugged in, and some underwound single coils into the ash one and it sounds bright and snappy plugged in. (Originally I had the warm sounding buckers in the ash guitar and it was way too dark/middy - I guess they needed the brightness of mahogany to sound right.) :P
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
                              Now that many different types of wood are labelled "mahogany"...
                              This is true, especially low-to-mid priced imports.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X