Telecaster Backbone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecaster Backbone?

Any body ever seen one of these before? I stumbled upon it by accident. Seems kind of gimicky, but who knows.

Could it change the tone? Probably.

Would it IMPROVE the tone? Who knows? Nearly anything you cut off, glue or screw on or coat a guitar with could potentially impact its tone. Whether that is an improvement or not is like questioning whether 'more caramel' improves chocolate caramel ice cream; how much caramel YOU like will vary from how much anyone else does.

Unrelated to tone, leaving the sides of that string block square sure make that look uncomfortable to play...

Larry

Comment

oh hell no, wtf is that?!?!

Comment

Interesting idea.

Comment

Probably different for any guitar and any set of ears. I've seen those, and for the price of a pickup it's certainly worth considering. Some pickups don't make much of a difference in tonal change but we keep trying them don't we?
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Seems similar to things I sold or installed in the 80's, back then usually made of brass. I have no doubt it increases sustain, maybe even makes the instrument louder acoustically.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I've got tone stones in my back yard. For half the price of that thing, I'll dig some up and mail 'em to you. Just glue to the back of your guitar and you're in business.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

They used to make brass plates for the back of Fender headstocks to add mass/sustain. No reason this wouldn't do the same. My Teles sound perfect as-is, however, so I don't have a need.

Comment

^^^. Yup. Fatheads. They really worked, too. ^^^

Comment

It will definitely make the guitar heavier
                    EHD
                    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Seems to me it'd take the guitar a big step closer to neck-through behavior.
                      I don't doubt the sustain could improve but I expect the guitar would also feel stiffer.
                      I bet it'd also require a much higher volume to really come alive.

To me, a Tele feels plenty stiff enough already.

The only neckplate mod I'd consider for aTele is the one that puts the strap button a few inches out from the guitar.

EDIT - here's a pic
                      Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 05-06-2021, 09:44 PM.
                      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

It will definitely make the guitar heavier
                        By a few ounces....

Comment

Well, it ain't pretty. I think it is trying to make up for a bad sounding guitar.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            I don't doubt the sustain could improve but I expect the guitar would also feel stiffer.

The only neckplate mod I'd consider for aTele is the one that puts the strap button a few inches out from the guitar.

EDIT - here's a pic
                            This is an interesting idea. But everything I can think of to improve on this one involves buying a Strat.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

EDIT - here's a pic
                              That's an interesting concept to get better balance. But it's ugly as he!!.

Like Beau said, though, it's just moving toward a Strat.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X