Stratocaster tone capacitor Grounding issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratocaster tone capacitor Grounding issues

I got a killer deal on a set of 3 1966 CTS 250 K pots for my fender Stratocaster. Wired it all up and the tone capacitor isn’t working correctly. It’s not grounding. I used my output jack for the trem claw ground. Moreover to test my tone capacitor I desoldered the ground that I grounded to my number one tone pot(next to the volume). In the past with this way worked. Do I need to have a ground wire to each pot? For it to work or am I totally out of it? Also, I wanted to show you the picture of the wiring but for some reason it’s saying that the photo is too large? If you guys someone can help me and let me know how to upload photos as well I’d be grateful. Much appreciated.
    Sincerely,

Allen

Last edited by Matchlessaz; 05-09-2021, 03:32 PM.

all the grounds need to be connected, so yes, usually all the pot casings should be connected to ground

Comment

Thanks btw I’m Having a super hard time trying to upload images on our forum. Do you know where I can get help on the form or could you help me out by any chance?
      Sincerely,

Allen

Comment

how big is the pic? when i upload a pic i click the "image" icon, click the upload tab, browse to the pic, send to server, wait a few seconds, then click ok, hit post reply and this happens.

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	6079332

Comment

This is what it says

File exceeds PHP's file-size limit of 2.00 MB

im using my iPhone

Comment

then your pic is too big...

Comment

Comment

I finished rewiring the pickguard grounding all 3 66 CTS POTS as well as with a different cap Value (just to make sure what the problem can be) Im having the same problem - I have to turn the tone pot so much to hear any tonal difference. Which makes me believe/think it could be the pot?

sincerely,

Allen

Comment

Your pots aren't grounded. They'll never work properly until the back of the two tone pots are connected to something that eventually connects to the output jack ground lug.

Comment

To post pics here that I take on my phone, I have to crop the photo. I crop it to show only the important parts. That generally takes the file size down below 2 mb.

So the pots are from 1966? How do they sound/feel/respond? Crackly at all?
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Working...
                    X