Carbon fiber / graphite neck makers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber / graphite neck makers?

So it seems Moses went belly up awhile back, and if you want a graphite neck you'll be buying the whole guitar from Modulus, Zon, Status, etc. I found an Aussie maker of graphite necks (Koloss) who also makes complete guitars, but I know little of them. Frankly, the surface of the neck looks like it was injected molded.

I ask because a client of mine with a Steinberger-necked guitar I built back in the 80's is thinking about a carbon neck for a Tele project he'd like me to complete.

Anyone hip to a source besides used stuff?
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-11-2021, 03:37 PM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

I haven't seen one in years. I did have a Moses neck for a few years (for a Steinberger), but it never fit properly. There were gaps on either side even when it was supposed to be a direct replacement. I haven't seen anyone providing CF Tele necks in quite awhile. If you find anything, let me know.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I posted a link to the Koloss guitar kit sold on Treeverb. Seemed like a good deal....

Then I watched a bunch of videos.... NO BUENO!
      The "carbon fiber neck" can be flexed with simple hand strength.
      When the vibrato is used the strings lift UP off the saddle, and don't come back down in the right place.
      In other words - it's a high tech fail.
      Last edited by ICTGoober; 05-11-2021, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Have a look here: https://www.rubato.guitars/neck/.

Yeah, the Koloss stuff tanked hard (it seemed too good to be true). It seems they've revamped the guitars quite a bit in the meantime - redesigned the bridge and got rid of the fake c/f neck (except for the kit guitar, which still seems to come with a some kind of polymer neck).
        Originally posted by dominus
        Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
          Have a look here: https://www.rubato.guitars/neck/.

Yeah, the Koloss stuff tanked hard (it seemed too good to be true). It seems they've revamped the guitars quite a bit in the meantime - redesigned the bridge and got rid of the fake c/f neck (except for the kit guitar, which still seems to come with a some kind of polymer neck).
          Wow, I hadn't seen these- thanks for sharing! Right away, the website looks a lot better than the Moses stuff.

Comment

It looks pretty slick (ss frets arguably complete the concept), and fingerboard options are a nice touch too.
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              I posted a link to the Koloss guitar kit sold on Treeverb. Seemed like a good deal....

Then I watched a bunch of videos.... NO BUENO!
              The "carbon fiber neck" can be flexed with simple hand strength.
              When the vibrato is used the strings lift UP off the saddle, and don't come back down in the right place.
              In other words - it's a high tech fail.
              Makes sense. Carbon fiber takes on very different properties depending on how the layup has been created with the layers of epoxy and carbon fiber. It's possible to create an outstanding carbon fiber neck, but it's also possible to create a terrible one.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I'm pretty hip to carbon fiber since I used to make tools for it, and parts out of it. There is no way this Koloss neck is carbon fiber. Might have carbon fiber dust in it, or perhaps the fingerboard is a thin sheet of carbon fiber. If I had the money and the guts, I'd buy a kit just to saw up the neck and find out WTH is really going on (and then post a vid about it).

The longer I look at the thing I wonder if it was designed by a player who couldn't deliver on the hardware - or a guy who made things and said, "Hell - I'm gonna make a guitar". Why does the bridge need tuners when the peghead has tuners? The bridge is too far back - some reviewers found to intonate the thing the saddles ended up hitting the body when the thing was dumped. What's wrong with just making it a hardtail? Cheaper and less trouble.

That body shape and profile is slick, and seems to be made well (one reviewer drove over it with his SUV). Their high dollar axes have wood necks - why not just do that on all of 'em?

Just sell the kit as a body with a good wooden neck, let the buyer get his own hardware elsewhere. I bet they'd still make money.

To get this thread back on track - looks like Status is the way to go for an aftermarket carbon fiber neck....

Comment

I dig the nut on that neck. I hadn't seen anything like it, but I always liked zero frets.

Comment

^^ Yeah. The minimal friction points, straight string pull and shallow headstock angle would suggest good tuning stability if the neck were to be installed on a guitar with a trem.

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    I'm pretty hip to carbon fiber since I used to make tools for it, and parts out of it. There is no way this Koloss neck is carbon fiber. Might have carbon fiber dust in it, or perhaps the fingerboard is a thin sheet of carbon fiber. If I had the money and the guts, I'd buy a kit just to saw up the neck and find out WTH is really going on (and then post a vid about it).

The longer I look at the thing I wonder if it was designed by a player who couldn't deliver on the hardware - or a guy who made things and said, "Hell - I'm gonna make a guitar". Why does the bridge need tuners when the peghead has tuners? The bridge is too far back - some reviewers found to intonate the thing the saddles ended up hitting the body when the thing was dumped. What's wrong with just making it a hardtail? Cheaper and less trouble.

That body shape and profile is slick, and seems to be made well (one reviewer drove over it with his SUV). Their high dollar axes have wood necks - why not just do that on all of 'em?

Just sell the kit as a body with a good wooden neck, let the buyer get his own hardware elsewhere. I bet they'd still make money.

To get this thread back on track - looks like Status is the way to go for an aftermarket carbon fiber neck....
                    I first became aware of c/f usage in guitars through Parker and the small British builder Gus, those are some slick axes - cedar neck/body and c/f exoskeleton, and stainless tubing giving the outline of the body.

When I saw the demos/reviews, I thought the neck was plastic, ha. I agree about the kit, having the aluminium body/wood neck combo would still be a winner.

Looks pretty rad though. Seems to have a height adjustable nut now too.

Comment

$4000? Hard pass.

Comment

? The neck is $780. The whole guitar is 4k.

Comment

? The neck is $780. The whole guitar is 4k.
                          Dang... looks nice. Not much more expensive than any other decked out aftermarket neck, either.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

A really fancy Warmoth neck can easily be that much without the nut and tuners.

Comment

^^ Indeed, something like roasted flame maple, ebony, ss frets, graphite nut, and a compound radius will in that ball park.

Comment

Working...
                              X