Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - I'm really done this time

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

I've thought about specs for a custom guitar for years, and recently determined that I'd actually like 3 guitars essentially based on this one:

2007 SG Standard ('50s neck) with the following mods:
    • SD P-Rails w/ Triple Shot rings
    • Bigsby B5 w/ VibraMate Short Tail
    • Tone Pros roller bridge
    • Gotoh locking Klusons
    • TUSQ-XL nut
    • 500K pots w/ .015 / .022 Orange Drops wired 50s style
    • Dunlop Strap Locks
    • Knob pointers
    • Blank trussrod cover
    I've got a Reverend Soft Touch Bigsby spring on order, and I'm planning to add push-pulls to the tone controls for a phase switch and to put both pickups in series. I'm also planning to refret with Jescar 57110-S, but that's probably a couple months out. I like the series and parallel options on the Triple Shots, but what I'd really like is to have a couple additional guitars dedicated to those sounds.

In this ideal world, the second guitar would be a mid-2000s SG Special in Blue/Teal Flip-Flop pickup-swapped to my double black Custom / Jazz set with push-pull pots for series operation and to split both pickups. The final guitar would be a red SG Standard with a zebra WLH set. Both of these modded identically to the black one except for electronics of course.
    Still waiting on the refret, the Bigsby spring came and went, the wiring is done, and the knobs have been replaced with black PRS Lampshades. I also happened to find a screaming deal on eBay a couple weeks ago:

The serial dates to 2003, and from the first time I picked it up I've been blown away by how well it plays and sounds. The nut has definitely been worked on at some point; it never pings and the tuning stability is absolutely solid. Since this picture was taken I added a B5/Vibramate, strap locks, and a blank trussrod cover. I also installed the double black Custom/Jazz set from my parts bin. I haven't redone the wiring yet, but maybe I'll get to it tomorrow if the forecast for rain is accurate. It weighs about a pound more than the black one, so I'm seriously thinking about swapping the tuners for Gotoh locking Klusons just for the weight savings. Unlike the stock tuners on the black one, these actually work and hold tune quite well. I'll probably swap the bridge too, since a roller bridge *should* be a bit more stable in terms of tuning, while being less prone to string breakage. Even with the stock 300K pots the Custom & Jazz sound great (if a bit dull), so I'm not really feeling the need for another SG. Between these two and a few rig updates (coming soon!) I have my bases covered.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

That color is stunning!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah right. No one is ever really done. Especially when you're an addict.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

great color!

Comment

Finally got the wiring done earlier today; life sure has a way of getting in the way of projects

The blue SG sounds even better with 500K pots, and the split and series options are cool as well. I'll swap tuners and bridge at a future date as another project is accounting for my funding at this point. Here's where both stand as far as mods:

Sameth - 2007 SG Standard ('50s neck) in Ebony
          • SD P-Rails w/ Triple Shot rings - pull neck tone for series, pull bridge tone for phase
          • Tone Pros roller bridge
          • Gotoh locking Klusons
          • TUSQ-XL nut
          • Tuned to E standard
          Ellimere - 2003 SG Special in Blue/Teal Flip-Flop
          • SD Custom / Jazz - pull neck tone to split both (hum-canceling), pull bridge tone for series
          • Tuned to Drop-D
          Both guitars:
          • Bigsby B5 w/ VibraMate Short Tail
          • 500K CTS volume pots
          • 500K CTS push-pull tone controls w/ .015 / .022 Orange Drops wired 50s style
          • Dunlop Strap Locks
          • PRS Lampshade knobs
          • Knob pointers
          • Blank trussrod cover
          • DR Tite Fit 10-46
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Oh man, absolutely killer!
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              That color is stunning!
              That's what I was going to say. Any idea what that color is called?

Comment

Really done he says....

Someone put a note to check in same time next year.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

That's what I was going to say. Any idea what that color is called?
                  Gibson called it Blue/Teal Flip-Flop. It's yellowed a bit so definitely more green these days, but the color still shifts somewhat depending on how bright the light is and viewing angle.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Really done he says....

Someone put a note to check in same time next year.
                    Time will tell. I started the restoration on my Charvel Model 2 before getting the new SG, so that one is already in the books so to speak. I don't have room for more guitars, so something is going to have to go if I acquire one. I don't really want to part with anything, so any new guitar would need to be REALLY special.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post

Time will tell.
                      Yeah - time will tell you are liar! As it does us all, eventually...
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                      X