Sterling Albert Lee Wiring Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling Albert Lee Wiring Diagram

Recently purchased a Sterling AL40 Albert Lee. Got it used for a good price. The bridge humbucker sounds thin and weak. Checked SD wiring diagram for 2 HB, 1 vol, 1 tone, 5-way superswitch. While I understand that the color codes may not match, I can still see that the way this guitar is wired is not like the SD diagram. I also noticed one of the jumper wires is disconnected on one end. Rather than unsolder everything and start over, I was hoping to find a wiring diagram of the guitar to see if it's something simple rather than start over. While I have some experience with wiring and soldering, I'm no guitar electronics expert. Thanks in advance.

welcome to the forum!

if you take a good detailed pic of what you have now, we may be able to diagnose the issue if no one can come up with the schematic

Comment

I thought Mincer did a wiring for this scheme in a blog article?

Edit: I think this might be the 'official' one

looks like it's the same as the Axis

Last edited by beaubrummels; 06-28-2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Yes, I wired my Silhouette Special like this. But first we have to find out if the Albert Lee's 2 humbuckers are wired the same way, and if they accomplish that with a Super Switch. My wiring depended on the neck humbucker having its magnet flipped, too. I don't know if the Sterlings have a proprietary switch.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thank you so much for posting this! I will use it to check the wiring this evening. And, to answer the other post, the AL40 has the 5-way Superswitch. I'd be happy to post a pic. It is hard to tell what's going on though with all the wires.

Comment

I compared the diagram you provided with the Sterling AL40 as I received it and is currently how it is. I revised it to show what I currently have. I don't yet understand how a superswitch works. So if someone sees what will correct the issue, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks again.
            Attached Files

Comment

I plan to rewire this weekend according to the MusicMan diagram posted. Not sure if the color codes are the same as Sterling or not. At this point, I will assume they are the same. Hopefully, this will correct the issue. If not, hopefully it is just flipping the magnet over. Thanks for the advise guys!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeWiles View Post
                I plan to rewire this weekend according to the MusicMan diagram posted. Not sure if the color codes are the same as Sterling or not. At this point, I will assume they are the same. Hopefully, this will correct the issue. If not, hopefully it is just flipping the magnet over. Thanks for the advise guys!
                Wiring color codes and whether either pickup you have in hand has reversed polarity and reversed wind (RWRP), or just reversed polarity (magnet flipped), or neither, is a big deal for knowing how to get this wiring scheme to work correctly. ArtieToo and I just went through some hoops helping Mincer troubleshoot a recent similar wiring scheme.

The key to avoiding headaches and mysterious problems, is to use a multimeter and a compass to take some key measurements for the two pickups you have in hand, before you even turn on the soldering iron.

Here's a video that shows you how to use the compass and multimeter to take those key measurements for each pickup:

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I will unsolder the pickups and test them before doing anything else. Now that I've made the wiring diagram, I can always get back to the original wiring. Thanks for the advise. If I were to guess, it's probably the red and green wires swapped on the bridge pickup connections. They look reversed.

Comment

I unsoldered the pickups from the guitar. I used a multimeter to determine coil pairs and polarity. Here's what I found: Not sure how this relates to the diagram as I don't know the details on the pickups shown above. Thanks for any help. Click image for larger version

Name:	Sterling AL40 Pickups.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6092905

Comment

I unsoldered the pickups from the guitar. I used a multimeter to determine coil pairs and polarity. Here's what I found: Not sure how this relates to the diagram as I don't know the details on the pickups shown above. Thanks for any help. Click image for larger version

Views:	1182
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	6092905
                      One key metric I don't see mentioned abovein what you tested for: the magnetic polarity of each coil. Did you do the compass test to find that out?

Besides that, based on what you did report, it seems that one pickup has a different magnetic orientation than the other one, since the same colored wires on each pickup have different electrical polarities ( i.e. green on one is + but green on the other -). That suggests that one of your pickups is reversed polarity (RP) only, vs Reverse Wound (RW) and RP. That's a big help in figuring out any wiring color code translations needed to make these pickups work with that Music Man diagram.

I'll do a little internet research about your plus put some time into studying the Music Man diagram and give you some feedback later tonight or in the morning.

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I purchased a compass this morning. Here are the results: Click image for larger version

Views:	1016
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	6093005

Comment

I purchased a compass this morning. Here are the results: Click image for larger version

Views:	1016
ID:	6093005
                          Hmmm.. if those compass measurements are correct, that would mean - if using the original Music Man diagram - the coils being combined in Positions 2 and 4 would not be hum-canceling. I.e. the two outer coils in Position 4 both being North magnetic polarity, and the two inner coils in Position 2 both being South magnetic polarity. To be hum-canceling, the two coils being combined need to be opposiite magnetic polarity of each other. But this type of diagram is known for being designed so that Positions 2 and 4 are hum-canceling. So something is off.

I would advise you double-check the magnet test. Did you catch how the guy in the instructional video said that the end of the needle marked North is actually a South magnet?

The other thing that would help at this point, is some photos of the current switch and wires attached to it. Also, the undersides of each of the two pickups, to verify that the two pickups are original to the guitar or not. And if not, to be able to ID what those pickups are.

I happen to be on vacation right now so unfortunately my availability to check back in is going to be limited over the next couple days. Hopefully some of the other forum members can help out.

Comment

I made a mistake in the last diagram. After gather some photos to post, I realized that I had the bridge pu 'north' marker on the wrong coil. Here's a correct diagram. Sorry for the confusion. Click image for larger version

Views:	1239
ID:	6093089
                            Here's some pics of the layout, backside, and pickups. There is a label on the neck pickup: PTP6049 LP-CR-F-4P. There is an 'F' steel stamped into the brass backplate. The label on the bridge pickup is: PTP 6050 LP-CR-R-4P. It also has an 'F' steel stamped on the brass backplate. Here's some pics:
                            Attached Files

Comment

I made a mistake in the last diagram. After gather some photos to post, I realized that I had the bridge pu 'north' marker on the wrong coil. Here's a correct diagram. Sorry for the confusion. Click image for larger version

Views:	1239
ID:	6093089
                              Here's some pics of the layout, backside, and pickups. There is a label on the neck pickup: PTP6049 LP-CR-F-4P. There is an 'F' steel stamped into the brass backplate. The label on the bridge pickup is: PTP 6050 LP-CR-R-4P. It also has an 'F' steel stamped on the brass backplate. Here's some pics:
                              Thanks for the updated info and the pics.

The latest info you provided about the magnet orientation, aligns to what I know would work for hum-canceling in Positions 2 and 4.

The Music Man diagram not only depicts the lower set of poles in a weird physical orientation that I've never seen on an actual 5 way superswitch (see the two poles I have circled in Red in the attached pic), ...

but we can also see from your pics, that your 5 way superswitch does not have that orientation. Your switch looks like common 5 way superswitches that I am familiar with.

Also, the way that those 2 particular poles are wired in the Music Man diagram, makes no sense to me and I don't see how it could work wired that way. So for these multiple reasons, my advice is to abandon that Music Man diagram.

And instead, use the following diagram, but with the following wire color substitutions:

Neck Pickup:
                              Green in digram: use your green wire (no change)
                              Red & White in diagram: use your Black & White wires
                              Black in diagram: use your Red wire

Bridge pickup:
                              Black in diagram: use your Red wire
                              Red & White in diagram: use your Black & White wires
                              Green in diagram: use your Green wire (no change)

This replacement diagram is the outcome from the recent troubleshooting ArtieToo and I did for Mincer's diagram where he was looking to get the same 5 positions that you want. (Ref: Reply #76 in this other thread: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...71#post6088171
                              )

Let me know how it works out after you get it wired up!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X