Epiphone Dot Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Dot Studio

Picked up a black Dot Studio from a local guy for super cheap. A few years ago, had a Dot Deluxe, this one sounds and plays great, just like the other.

What am I missing out on by not going with a proper 335? They’re both laminated, the tuners on the Dot are Grovers, and WAY better than any Gibson Keystones I’ve used. If I were to swap out the pickups (which sound fine) and put on the same bridge/tailpiece, how different are the two?

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

I think that with better pickups (I like Antiquities), the differences are a lot smaller.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is this the 2 knob dot or 4 knob dot?

EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Mincer- That's my thought as well. I have a knockoff Les Paul with a T-Top, absolutely love it, and will be going for some unpotted PAF-ish something with a satin nickel cover. With the all black everything else, I think that'll look pretty slick.

ehdwuld- 2 knob, but I'm probably gonna switch those to concentric pots so I have all 4 controls.

“I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
          Mincer- That's my thought as well. I have a knockoff Les Paul with a T-Top, absolutely love it, and will be going for some unpotted PAF-ish something with a satin nickel cover. With the all black everything else, I think that'll look pretty slick.

ehdwuld- 2 knob, but I'm probably gonna switch those to concentric pots so I have all 4 controls.
          Are you sure that you want unpotted in a semi hollow? I'm not sure because I don't have any experience with them, but I would think that they could be more prone to feedback. Maybe lightly potted?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

Are you sure that you want unpotted in a semi hollow? I'm not sure because I don't have any experience with them, but I would think that they could be more prone to feedback. Maybe lightly potted?
            I have Antiquities in my Eastman 335-alike, and it sounds wonderful. It really depends oh how much gain & volume you use. And if you style depends on touch-sensitivity or not. If not, then stay away from unpotted pickups- you won't see a benefit.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

In the past, I always tried to make every guitar I had into a swiss army knife, which meant they all ended up sounding very similar and kind of homogenized. I'm more about letting each of them be its own thing now. I have a couple guitars with old, unpotted Gibson pickups, so those aren't for playing metal at super high volumes. If I was doing that, I'd take the PRS CE24 or the Falbo 8 string.

Regarding the unpotted thing and uncontrollable feedback, yes they're more apt to squealing, but it's not THAT bad. My buddy came by last night and tuned up my Super Reverb, and we were playing my LP replica with the T-Top pretty loud, a bunch of gain from a DS-1, and facing the amp from about 6 feet away. It was loud enough that every note had instant controlled feedback, and no squealing.

Comment

Internally, there is very little difference between an Epiphone Dot or a Gibson dot. If you like playing it, it will respond to a pickup upgrade and at least a new Switchcraft jack, if not all new electronics.

Like Mincer, I have a pair of Antiquities loaded in a 335 style axe - an Ibanez Art Star 73 - and find them to be very sweet sounding. I used to miss the sound of my Ibanez Lee Ritenour, and this slides right into that same place. But my Art Star is even prettier than the Rit.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post

I've got a Seth in my Epi Dot. It'll feedback at very high volume and gain levels . . . but turn either the gain or the volume down and it's no problem. It's actually surprisingly controllable depending on where you stand and what angle you're at in reference to the amp.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I've got a Seth in my Epi Dot. It'll feedback at very high volume and gain levels . . . but turn either the gain or the volume down and it's no problem. It's actually surprisingly controllable depending on where you stand and what angle you're at in reference to the amp.
                    Might sound weird, but I find it easier to control with a semi-hollow. It’s pretty much always on the verge of feeding back at most any volume, so it’s never a surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Might sound weird, but I find it easier to control with a semi-hollow. It’s pretty much always on the verge of feeding back at most any volume, so it’s never a surprise.
                      Yes, that's my experience as well. It seems to come on more softly with a semi-hollow.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                      X