Dreadnaught and Jumbo feedback issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dreadnaught and Jumbo feedback issue

Is the feedback issue for Dreadnaughts and Jumbos really bad as people say? Is it easy to fix?

I've found that it's situational. In some instances, I've been able to play quite loudly without any more feedback than you'd get from a 335-type. Other times, it's barely amplified and it starts howling. This is with magnetics and piezos, mind you.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Careful how you face the speakers
      those rubber inserts for the sound hole
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

It depends on the volume. But they do feed back. So much so, that if it was going to be used as a stage guitar, I'd choose another instrument more volume-friendly. It would work find for an open mic or even a single/duo gig. But when I needed a guitar for live performance, I didn't get a dred.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          It depends on the volume. But they do feed back. So much so, that if it was going to be used as a stage guitar, I'd choose another instrument more volume-friendly. It would work find for an open mic or even a single/duo gig. But when I needed a guitar for live performance, I didn't get a dred.
          But what about Bluegrass bands that use dreadnaughts while playing live performances? Usually there around 5 members playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post

But what about Bluegrass bands that use dreadnaughts while playing live performances? Usually there around 5 members playing.
            Check out the gear most of the plugged in bluegrass bands use, and you’ll find really high end pickups and preamps. The ones who’s instruments sound good are using stuff like the Grace Felix, which costs more than a lot of people’s guitars.

The other factor with them is they’re playing loud acoustic music exclusively, with someone running sound who’s used to doing that. They’re also probably using in ears and very low stage volume, which obviously makes a big difference.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post

Check out the gear most of the plugged in bluegrass bands use, and you’ll find really high end pickups and preamps. The ones who’s instruments sound good are using stuff like the Grace Felix, which costs more than a lot of people’s guitars.

The other factor with them is they’re playing loud acoustic music exclusively, with someone running sound who’s used to doing that. They’re also probably using in ears and very low stage volume, which obviously makes a big difference.
              They are also excellent at 'self mixing playing louder or softer when another member is featured. Bluegrass isnt like it was in 1950- there is a lot of technology and money that goes into sounding that old.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i play a dread for most of my acoustic gigs, there are plenty of ways around feedback. if you are playing acoustic with a loud rock band its different than an all acoustic group, what are you looking to do?

Comment

Working...
                X