banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What guitars did EVH play live in different eras?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What guitars did EVH play live in different eras?

Kind of an open ended question, but I’m curious what Eddie played live in different eras.

There are a lot of photos that have been unearthed of the pre-album release era. I assume a lot of the first tour was the Frankenstein, shark and various other guitars? Was bumblebee in heavy rotation? (And was bumblebee a pre-pro Charvel?)

Once he signed with Kramer, I assume that’s when Frankie got a Kramer neck. Was he playing Kramer’s exclusively live at that point? Any good photos of that era?

How about during the EB/MM and Peavey eras? Did he bust out any of the old guitars or did he play the endorsed guitars exclusively? When did Frankie make a comeback?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

First tour I saw was VH2 and he used the Black and Yellow guitar most of the night. W/C1st tour it was mostly the Black and White guitar. Mean Streets it was the Black and White Star with the Danelectro looking neck most of the night.. IIRC he had the little LP by then too. After that I think it was the Red and White Kramer necked guitar at the US Festival and the 1984 tourdate I saw. I never seen him live with the Ibanez shark. Those are what I can recall from the early tours.
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

I've never studied this, but his story of his guitars is probably the most researched gear on the internet. I bet someone here knows.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Good listing, matches what I saw back in the day.
        Eddie Van Halen used a homemade Frankenstrat as his main guitar. He also used an Ibanez Destroyer, Kramer 5150, and other guitars.

similar list

List with videos (doesn't seem to be chronological, but has the years)
        Eddie Van Halen played many guitars throughout his legendary career. In this article, we discuss his gear and have included a table with all of it listed in chronological order.

Video similar to the above articles
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
          First tour I saw was VH2 and he used the Black and Yellow guitar most of the night. W/C1st tour it was mostly the Black and White guitar. Mean Streets it was the Black and White Star with the Danelectro looking neck most of the night.. IIRC he had the little LP by then too. After that I think it was the Red and White Kramer necked guitar at the US Festival and the 1984 tourdate I saw. I never seen him live with the Ibanez shark. Those are what I can recall from the early tours.
          I knew there would be some first hand experience in the forum.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          Good listing, matches what I saw back in the day.
          Eddie Van Halen used a homemade Frankenstrat as his main guitar. He also used an Ibanez Destroyer, Kramer 5150, and other guitars.

similar list

List with videos (doesn't seem to be chronological, but has the years)
          Eddie Van Halen played many guitars throughout his legendary career. In this article, we discuss his gear and have included a table with all of it listed in chronological order.

Video similar to the above articles
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4VP1lw-tFQ
          Excellent, thanks!
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Saw VH twice in the later eras.

First time with Sammy, Balance tour, second with Gary Cherone, VH III tour. First time it was the Music Man guitars, second was Peavey. He played maybe 4 or 5 different ones each time.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Working...
            X