NGD - 2020 Fender Black Jim Root Jazzmaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - 2020 Fender Black Jim Root Jazzmaster

So I just put this JR Sig on lay away at a pawnshop yesterday.

I wasn't in the market for a new guitar and much less a JR Jazzmaster I didn't know even existed.

But when I saw it hanging up on the wall and what it was tagged for, I did a quick used price search for this year and model.

I realized they had it priced about $400 under market, and I figured I could get them down A LOT more from there.

Long story short, I ended up putting this guitar on lay away for a "CRAZY STUPID LOW" price.

So I really LOVE the look of this JR Jazzmaster, and I even love the contrast of the EMG pickup covers with the Black color of the guitar.

What I'm not a fan of, and have never ever been, is active EMG pickups.

I already know that the 60/81 EMG's in this guitar are HOT, and I know I won't like them at all.

I'm thinking of installing a SD '59 in the neck and a Pearly Gates in the bridge, because I'm after Classic 70's rock tones.

Any thoughts on this paring or other alternate pairings are welcome.

Here's some pics of my soon to be modded JR Jazzmaster.

Wow, congrats on the cool guitar!

Spend some time with it before deciding on pickups, but what you chose would give you some sweet classic rock tones.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks Mincer.

Maybe I am jumping the gun thinking I'm going to hate the

the EMG's
      I I have read that the 60/81 EMG's sound great for clean tones.

The thing is I rarely do clean tones, and do more light overdrive to crunch and classiic rock lead tones.

So I guess I'll take your advice and give them a shot before I make any decisions.

Comment

i wouldnt say the 81 is good for clean tones. cool guitar!

Comment

Awesome find for a good deal. Is it string through?

i like your choices. I think the 59N sounds better than the jazz neck. The PGb should also sound b!tching.

Comment

I'm glad you like it. It's good that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I hope you'll be happy with the guitar for many years to come. You didn't say what you paid for it. I don't know anything about the used market price for that guitar but it's hard for me to imagine that it is priced at $400 under market and you can knock it down even further. In my mind, that would make it a give away.

I would love to own a genuine Jazzmaster, but the only similarity I see with that to a "Jazzmaster" is the general body outline. There is nothing else about it that even slightly resembles a "real 'Jazzmaster'". I'd probably pay more for the case than the guitar unless I could instantly turn it around for a huge profit. That's definitely not my thing...neither is Slip Knot nor heavy metal. But that's just me. Like I said, kudos to you though and I hope you'll love it.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

mia signature guitars arent cheap, even used. im not a metal guy either but i could mod that enough to gig with without screwing anything up

Comment

Cool guitar!

Since the EMGs are quick swap, I’d try either Fishman Fluence Classics or EMG RetroActive (Fat 55, Hot 70 or a super 77).
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  I'm glad you like it. It's good that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I hope you'll be happy with the guitar for many years to come. You didn't say what you paid for it. I don't know anything about the used market price for that guitar but it's hard for me to imagine that it is priced at $400 under market and you can knock it down even further. In my mind, that would make it a give away.

I would love to own a genuine Jazzmaster, but the only similarity I see with that to a "Jazzmaster" is the general body outline. There is nothing else about it that even slightly resembles a "real 'Jazzmaster'". I'd probably pay more for the case than the guitar unless I could instantly turn it around for a huge profit. That's definitely not my thing...neither is Slip Knot nor heavy metal. But that's just me. Like I said, kudos to you though and I hope you'll love it.
                  The used market for this guitar is between $1500-$1600 in good shape in the US.

The shop had it tagged for $1200, and since they're running a 15% off campaign,so I KNEW they need/want cash flow, so I knew with enough cash I could dictate what I wanted to pay for the guitar.

I took 5 $100 dollar bills and put it on them on the counter with my hand over them while the manager and I haggled back and forth.

After he gave his final price he'd let it go for, I shook his hand and thanked him for giving me his time, and said there's another guitar at his competitor's pawnshop that I intended to go buy.

I then started to take the money off the counter, and he stopped and gave me a little lower number, which I countered with $900 out the door or I'm leaving.

He looked defeated and agreed to my price.

Here's a copy of the my lay away ticket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	51387939139_b903edf061_c.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	6105442

Comment

Working...
                  X