banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NGD little plane jane killer players guitar!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD little plane jane killer players guitar!

Early Carvin DC 600 with the 25 scale thin profile neck and M bridge. Pretty basic build but man oh man what a killer playing and sounding guitar! This thing sustains forever and just sings it may well be the single best sounding Carvin/ Kiesel guitar I have ever played! Not crazy about the looks but WOW what a killer player!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

That Van Halen guy had some guitars that were not lookers, but they sounded great.

Give it a few months and if the looks are still bothering you - STICKERS!
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

22-pole pickups, right? They look odd but it does help the sustain I think.
      Of course lively wood makes even more of a difference.
      "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

i like it
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          22-pole pickups, right? They look odd but it does help the sustain I think.
          Of course lively wood makes even more of a difference.
          C 22's are the Pickups a B in the bridge and J in the neck. Big fat and smooth and in this guitar they really work. Very open and sweet through the Archon clean with an almost acoustic quality at times but really fat smooth and sweet with gain. Very very good sounding set up in particular with these PRS amps I'm running. Was a huge surprise when I got the wiring issue resolved as expected to swap pickups but likely this one will remain stock.
          She is a maple neck through the body with an ebony board, SS med jumbo frets and a Swamp ash or Alder body. Was just curious at first when I picked it up at first in that shop but it sounded and played so darned good unplugged I had to spend some time with it. The bridge pickup was screwy low output and thin sounding so they threw a number out that I had to think about. This guitar haunted be until I went back and grabbed it. Was a super easy wiring issue to repair and now I don't want to put the thing down. The looks I can tolerate but I'm not kidding about this one having a really cool vibe. Much different guitar than anything else I have and one that should be a keeper.
          It's not the absolute perfection in finish and workmanship that my Kiesel DC 135 is or have the jaw dropping looks that my Purple Quilt DC 127 Carvin does but man it definitely makes up for it in tone and sustain!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	6106348
          Last edited by Ascension; 08-25-2021, 06:56 AM.
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Now that I have the wiring issue fixed on the new guitar I'm REALLY liking the tones with this thing.
            Big open warm hot PAF type tone on each end and then it's very tele like in the middle 3.
            Bucker split bucker to the inner coil, Split both buckers in series and humbucking, split inner coil and full humbucking is how they set it up on the 5 way. Middle split in series has an almost acoustic like character to it clean. Owned several Carvins in the past with these C22's and they weren't bad but also were nothing special but this one is different. Maybe it's the C22J in the neck which is a pickup that I have not used until now but this thing sounds absolutely amazing through my Archon.
            It just destroys my stock 07 PRS Custom 24 tone wise and also flat plays circles around it. Would not have been a guitar I would have built but man oh man am I glad I picked it up in that shop to play it and now own this one!
            Have yet to get it in a full band situation but working with some Worship backing tracks here having to pull a lot of different tones on the fly through the Archon this thing is just blowing me away.
            Another photo of her.
            Last edited by Ascension; 08-25-2021, 06:52 AM.
            Guitars

Comment

Feels good, sounds good, is good.

Stickers will make it play faster though, think about it.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Feels good, sounds good, is good.

Stickers will make it play faster though, think about it.
                LOL on the stickers. You have any idea have many times working in Pawn shops I have had to remove stickers from nice guitars before we could sell them? NO!!
                Trust me this one with the slim neck profile option tung oiled neck option 14 radius and the stainless frets doesn't need any help in playing faster. Will set up to play clean with much lower action that I want to play with and this one is a real shredder. Exact same neck as my Red Kiesel DC and the Black AE 185.
                Guitars

Comment

Looks good to me!
                  Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Spoke to soon on finding the problem on the guitar. Turns out it evidently had a bad coil in the bridge pickup. It was intermittent and worked for a while then died again Saturday. I had a new Carvin C 22B in my parts box so swapped it and now all is well.
                    In this particular guitar the stock Carvin pickups work so well i think I will leave it alone. Has a really warm sweet and open hot PAF Brown Sound vibe in the full humbucking end positions then sounds like a really good tele in the middle 3 on the 5 way. Surprised the heck out of me how good this thing sounds once i really got it right.
                    Played it out for the first time this morning and this one is a keeper!
                    Last edited by Ascension; 08-30-2021, 01:29 AM.
                    Guitars

Comment

Working...
                    X