1998 Gibson Les Paul Special P100's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 Gibson Les Paul Special P100's

Hello all, so for a while now I was debating on just getting used newer regular Gibson P90's bridge & neck or the Seymour Duncan SP90-1 Vintage neck & either a SP90-1 Vintage bridge or a SP90-2 Hot bridge P-90 set for my Gibson les paul special and swapping out the GraphTech saddles for new Gibson saddles but don't know if that would work well with the classic rock/hard rock covers band I'm in or not? All pots changed from factory 300k to Gibson 500k, Grover 135C tuners. Currently have a Dimarzio p90 super distortion in the bridge and stock Gibson p100 in the neck. Playing rock/classic rock/hair metal covers in a cover band tuned to standard E. If I sell it, I would most likely get a used Gibson les paul studio with humbuckers with the 60's profile neck. I'm not sure though which model les paul studio has the 60's neck profile and what year is best to go with to stay under $1000?
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

My '91 Special was my main guitar for years and I ran the SD Vintage P-90 Neck and the Custom P-90 Bridge

Played Hair/Hard/Punk and it was a beast, the Custom also does a mean George Thorogood

My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Well, honestly, I'd keep it the way it is. The P100 is quiet if nothing else. Kinda like a Jazz, maybe? Not very P90 IMO. And the DiMarzio P90 SuperD? A turn of the volume should cover everything from Stones to Stone Temple Pilots. I'd say that is a pretty decent setup for what you are doing.

The Duncans, SP1 and an SP2 or SP3 will certainly give you real P-90 mojo. And the SP3 is just freaking loud, and middy and punchy in the best ways. Will they work for what you want? I guess. P90's don't scream most classic rock or metal/hair to me.

What is the amp and fx setup. That said....I defer to this:

Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm a real P-90 fan and haven't found anything they can't cover with the right amp /settings.
        (By the way, great playing Bob. Love that P-90 tone).
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

not a big fan of the p100, kinda a neutered p90 tone. the duncan p90s are definitely good, i really like the antiquity models but that might not be the best choice for classic/hard rock. what dont you like about what you have now? the p100 neck and dp209 should cover a lot of sonic ground

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
            Well, honestly, I'd keep it the way it is. The P100 is quiet if nothing else. Kinda like a Jazz, maybe? Not very P90 IMO. And the DiMarzio P90 SuperD? A turn of the volume should cover everything from Stones to Stone Temple Pilots. I'd say that is a pretty decent setup for what you are doing.

The Duncans, SP1 and an SP2 or SP3 will certainly give you real P-90 mojo. And the SP3 is just freaking loud, and middy and punchy in the best ways. Will they work for what you want? I guess. P90's don't scream most classic rock or metal/hair to me.

What is the amp and fx setup. That said....I defer to this:
            I watched this, and now I'm prepared for when somebody tells me I can't play metal with a P90!
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post

I watched this, and now I'm prepared for when somebody tells me I can't play metal with a P90!
              I mean, that little Cube recto setting could turn a Cigar Box guitar into a shred stick....
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
              X