Hondo II Les Pauls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hondo II Les Pauls

I saw a couple of Hondo II Les Pauls for sale. They’re cheap and they look nice superficially, what was the construction like? One is being sold “as is/ for spares” because there’s some problem with the wiring, which doesn’t bother me because I would be happy to replace all the electronics if needed.

I thought they were plywood. Maybe you can get a look in the pickup cavities here:

Comment

I might have had one yrs ago, when I was young and didn't know jack about guitars. If it was a Hondo, the only thing I remember was it was a LP style guitar and the neck pocket and neck pickup pocket were basically one and the same. Either there was no wood between the neck and pickup or just a very thin piece of wood. I distinctly recall on that guitar, the neck pressing into the pickup ring on the neck pickup. That's about all I can recall, assuming that was a Hondo.
      1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
      Jackson Soloist 7 string
      ESP LTD M-400
      Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

These are the two I was looking at:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/guitar-ins...ded/1415288186

Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 09-21-2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

There were some good Hondo LP copies, but most were cheap plywood.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I guess a new Harley Benton or a Squier is probably a more reliable purchase for a cheap project guitar then.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
              I guess a new Harley Benton or a Squier is probably a more reliable purchase for a cheap project guitar then.
              The Harley Benton has been killing it with the cheaper mod platforms.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

All I’m really looking at (and not very seriously) is some form of budget Gibson-esque guitar I can put some A2 vintage-output humbuckers in. My best friend has a Westfield SG that he bought from another friend of ours, but neither of them really played it, I might have to suggest it stays at my house for safekeeping...

Comment

I haven't thought about a Hondo LP in 35 years or more. From memory, all the ones I ever played could have also been used as an anchor.

Comment

Dime played one

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                      And then some. Those Hondo II's are not their better examples, they look nice enough but they are pretty poor. A new Harley Benton wipes the floor with them.
                      My Bands -
                      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...
                      X