Interchangeable nut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interchangeable nut?

Bare with me here. Is an interchangeable nut a doable thing? Reason I'm asking is I've been messing around with lower tunings lately, and ideally would take the plunge and dedicate a guitar to it with fat strings and a nut cut for that bigger set. But what if I want to go back to standard on that guitar? Can I get a nut cut and just not glue it in, or lightly glue it in, so that I can swap between nuts?
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Conversely, nuts aren't meant to be interchangeable. That is not to say it can't be done. After all - string tension should hold the nut in place, even without adhesion. But it's a lot of work and possibly cash - so weigh those two items against the "ease" of changing string gauges, tunings, etc.

There is a 3rd consideration.... Does your guitar like having frequent string changes and tunings, and how do you feel about adjusting your truss rod on the regular?

Might be wiser to have another guitar for each tuning.
    Last edited by ICTGoober; 09-27-2021, 09:16 AM.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

LSR Roller Nut to the rescue...
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I once bought a MIM Fender and when I changed the bridge the nut fell our. I simply popped it right back in and restrung it when I was done. You could easily do it depending on what style nut you have.

The biggest obstacle in your way as far as I can see is does your neck have enough rigidity to facilitate a major change in string tension without truss rod adjustments?
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

When changing a nut, the slot needs to be cleaned so the surface is flat with no glue residue left from the previous nut. Otherwise the new nut won't sit flush and that'll just compound to other problems.

The LSR nut is a good option as long as you don't exceed the max string gauges.And as mentioned, don't forget to take in to account the string tension and how it will affect the neck. It will need adjustment each time.

Comment

Yes, the LSR certainly has a maximum size you don't want to go over. But I love that piece of hardware. Should be stock on many guitars.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Any nut that maxes out at .050” is pretty worthless for lower tunings.

I’ve gone back and forth between 11-56 and 9-46 on the same guitar, no issues.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Well, I dropped the tuning down from standard tuning to C# standard/Drop B on all 5 of my "main guitars" and two of them (a Squier Tele and a PRS SE) stayed snappy and awesome to play, held tune great, no truss rod or action adjustment needed even with the .10s that are on them. Could changing tuning like this damage these guitars long term?
                Last edited by alex1fly; 09-27-2021, 11:09 AM.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I don't see why you couldn't have several different nuts made and use them interchangeably. Don't glue it in, just hold the nut in place with string pressure. There are plenty of jazz instruments that just hold the bridge in place with string pressure, don't see why it wouldn't work for the nut.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

As nice as the concept sounds on paper, it is not the best step to take in the real world IMO. If you are remotely particular on your set ups doing what you are discussing just got you a part time job working on guitars...lol. Way too much trouble. Best to have multiple guitars if you wish to make major tuning and or string gauge changes.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

^ You have a Floyd whose slots cut in different size to fit particular string gauge?

Comment

Use a double sided tape to hold the nut in place when putting strings on, easy peasy. Then string pressure should hold it down.

Comment

You don’t need different Floyd Rose nuts for different string gauges.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

This doesn't always work. On my Ibanez RG270DX there is enough sideways string tension to pull a Floyd nut off to the side if it isn't fastened down. I use a couple of top-mount screws.
                            Yeah, I'd expect that a floyded nut would have to be screwed firmly down to avoid slipping from the slackening and tightening of the strings. I was talking about a regular hardtail guitar, where swapping the nut would be no big deal.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Use a double sided tape to hold the nut in place when putting strings on, easy peasy. Then string pressure should hold it down.
                              Of course, the added thickness will require that the nut slots be cut the same amount deeper in order to maintain the same low action and ability to intonate.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X