banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Electric Guitar For Hard Rock/Hair Metal Covers Band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Electric Guitar For Hard Rock/Hair Metal Covers Band?

So I'm still searching for another electric guitar and after having to return the new Ibanez RG421HPFM and now a defective new Charvel Pro-Mod DK24 HH 2PT - Chlorine Burst, I came across this PRS SE Custom 24 Electric Guitar - Faded Blue Burst but seen a lot of complaints on the pickups, etc. With recent changes at my job, I have to try and stay on a budget and will probably have to buy form an online music retailer like Sweetwater as I already have the Sweetwater credit card to stay on monthly payments. I'm in a 2 guitarist classic/hard rock cover band and we play 70's/80's classic rock/hard rock in standard E tuning.

You can see all the gear in my signature but my MIK Epiphone Les Paul Custom that's in my sig has been the main guitar I was using at shows and practices but I'm trying to keep the miles off it and I'm definitely looking for something lighter as my Epiphone weighs a ton and takes a toll on my back! I'm trying to stay on a budget below $1,000 if possible and I have a feeling I'm partial to Mahogany soundwise with maybe a maple cap for the brightness. I've also really got used the the Seymour Duncan hot rod pickup set that's in my Epiphone; JB in the bridge and Jazz in the neck. I would maybe like to have the option for coil splits as some of the stuff we cover almost requires a single coil kind of sound but I don't think that would be a deal breaker and I really don't care for having a single coil pickup in the middle as I find it gets in the way of my picking. The main things that are important to me is the guitar has to sound good, stay in tune, have 22 frets and be light.
    Charvel Model-5fx EMG 85/SA
    Epiphone Les Paul Custom Korean SD JB/Jazz
    Custom Made Ernie Ball Musicman Copy Dimarzio Super Distortion's
    2019 EVH 5150 III 50 Watt Head 6L6
    1995 Mesa Boogie Tremoverb converted to Head
    Mesa Tremoverb 2x12 cab (factory Vintage 30's) converted to closed back
    Marshall 1960A 4x12 (2 Celestion G12T-75's and 2 WGS Retro 30's X patterned
    Pedaltrain Mini: Currently on pedalboard: ModTone MT-CB Clean Boost, Zoom MS-70CDR, Korg Pitchblack Tuner)

You won't find one on Sweetwater but check out some 80's Ibanez Roadster IIs on eBay or Reverb. Great pickups, 24 frets (Some do), light, and awesome actions. You can find some great ones for $350 - $550 depending on configuration and condition.

Last edited by Securb; 10-17-2021, 01:27 PM.

Comment

I can’t see signatures, must have disabled them or something, but maybe an Epiphone SG or double-cutaway Les Paul would be similar and lighter. LTD models with JB & 59 are available, but at about the edge of what you’re willing to spend; there was a Viper 401 at a lower price with those pickups, but I can’t see it on Sweetwater.

Comment

Hard Rock / Hair "covers" band? Well, honestly, there isn't anything playing-wise that any guitar can't / couldn't do. Obviously some of the songs would need a Floyd of some sort. But other than that 22 frets and a bridge humbucker is really all you need...

As for the "single" sounds - I don't know exactly what you are referring to. Please list the songs that need this. I play in an 80's Hair Metal Tribute and over a 60+ song list, I don't think anything has made us go "Wow - we really need single coils for that!" Maybe the intro guitar to Rock Me / Great White.

If you are looking for "period correct" pieces like Securb said, Craigslist is your friend. But honestly, I'd rather have a new Jackson/Charvel/Epiphone or whatever than an old Aria, Roadstar or who knows what.

But since you asked...here is what we play:
        Me:
        Dean Cadillacs - about 6 different ones. JB, Custom, Distortion, etc in the bridge usually
        Jackson JS32's a King V and a Dinky that I have decorated. Pickups are stock.
        A couple of Dean V's

The other guitar:
        Assorted Ibanez RG's
        Charvel Pro-Mod
        A Les Paul of some sort - humbuckers, flat top.
        He mostly has JB's in his stuff.

So I'm not entirely sure of exactly what you really need to know???? Pickups for the style should be JB's, Distortions, Customs, or SuperDistortions.
        As always - amps and FX > Guitar. You are gonna need some serious delay settings (multiple), and a solid chorus.

Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'd say any Strat-shaped HSS w/Floyd guitar would do. Budget for a JB, and have some noiseless singles (like the Classic Stack). Make sure it is in an 80s-approved color or has a graphic. We have some people here who are really knowledgeable about the guitars in that era.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Again - I paid $250 for each of these Jacksons. Get one of each. Decals extra. Pickups are Distortion-esque. If I bash one jumping around I won't be upset. They sound good and stay in tune:

But...if we are really thinking (meaning over-thinking) this; An LTD EC-1000 is exactly what you want. Lighter than a Les Paul, thin, comfortable, comes with JB/59. Get used, use the savings for a coil tap on the neck.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Also, maybe a Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, Squier and Fender Floyd Rose Strat, an EVH Wolfgang, or a Kramer Pacer for Floyd-equipped guitars. The Pacer comes with a JB & 59 with series/ parallel switching on both pickups. It’s a shame you had a bad experience with Charvel, I liked the Pro-Mod San Dimas I tried in a store, which also came with JB & 59.
              The recent Squier contemporary FR Strat comes in pink, perfect for hair metal! HH with a 5-way switch, if you’re handy with a soldering iron.

Comment

This speaks to me:

Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Another one.

Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Hair metal - gotta go Kramer . Pacer if you need a neck pu.

For older/used stuff, some of the Japanese Fernandes models which are Jacksonish might also be fun, they can be had for a good deal.

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    You won't find one on Sweetwater but check out some 80's Ibanez Roadster IIs on eBay or Reverb. Great pickups, 24 frets (Some do), light, and awesome actions. You can find some great ones for $350 - $550 depending on configuration and condition.

Yes, plus Fenderish necks with flatter fingerboard radii - no skinny Wizard stuff here. Though I wouldn't necessarily look on the major selling platforms, where they've gone up in price in recent years. While it's possible to find them for $300-400, more often they're $400-1000. Local classifieds might be a better bet. Gone are the halcyon days when you could find them for 1-3 bills . In general, the prices on many old Ibanezes across the board seem to have gone up.

If I were looking to get a Roadstar, I'd try to find one from 1986, as that was the first year of the Edge trem. The trems on the earlier ones are a bit squonky, if you plan to use it of course, if not, then go for it.
                    Originally posted by dominus
                    Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                      This is a badass axe. I recommend
                      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        That's a killer, check the rainbow crackle one out

Click image for larger version

Name:	MIRAGE-DELUXE-87_RBCRK_ANGLED-1024x358.png
Views:	161
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	6120223
                        How good is that?
                        Last edited by AdrianSD; 10-18-2021, 06:56 AM.

Comment

Been playing Carvin Kiesel guitars on stages since the late 1980's. Owned just about anything you can name over the years keep coming back to the Carvin Kiesels. Company is older than Fender (1946) and is still owned by the founding family. Most reliable guitars bar none night after night on the road I have ever owned by far. If you build a basic guitar and don't get crazy on the options they are also great values. New all are custom builds.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Few of my Carvin Kiesels.
                            Guitars
                            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

So many guitars would work, but you need the 80's look. This one would be perfect.

Comment

Working...
                              X