Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Genesis Collection RG550

Anyone own a RG550? So close to pulling the trigger on the purple one, but not sure. I feel this guitar would complete my Ibanez collection. Usually when this model is in stock it seems to always sell out fast and the wait is months for one. I actually played this model last year and the neck is glorious.

I bought an original RG550 in 87, a RG1570 in 2003, and a Genesis RG550 in 2020. Love them all!

Comment

Yeah, they are popular again these days. I think they're great value – for under 1k you get a Japanese Ibanez with the cool colours, Edge trem, multi laminate neck. I think this is even a bit less than what they were new when they came out back in the late 80s. Yes no hard case, but it keeps the price down.

The Genesis differs from the originals in a few respects - the 5pc neck with a volute and top mounted nut, and V7/8 pups (V1/2 in oldies). Superior construction, imo, a lot of originals suffer from cracks around the nut mounting bolts.

Seen some (lightly used) on Fleabay lately for under $900. They've been out of stock for much of the year but now they're making their way to retailers again. Even if you decide to let it go after a while, you could probably get most of your money back.
      Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Pick up an Ibanez RG550 PN Prestige Electric Guitar - Purple Neon today and save at Riffs & Licks Music, Brisbane & the Gold Coast. Free shipping on most orders. AfterPay and ZIp Pay available.

For under 1K if you buy from somebody who reasonably prices their guitars, maybe.

Comment

It's overrated. It's actually an RG350 but made in Japan.

Comment

I have one in red. It's ridiculous, V pickups, square heel. cardboard box. The only thing good about it is the Edge.

Comment

Had a real one...swapped it for a Les Paul....
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I had one back in the 80's. I'd like to have one again.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  I had one back in the 80's. I'd like to have one again.
                  Did the original model in 87 include a case?

Comment

Yes - the black rectangular one. Lots of room.
                    At this point, I'd pop for a gigbag.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Hm, I wasn't certain they did. There is a case (code PL1770C) listed in the '87 price list, though only the LNG Jem is explicitly stated as including a case. Maybe you could opt in for it at the store when buying the guitar.

The 20th anniversary 550s came with a matching colour flight case.
                      Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 10-20-2021, 10:00 AM.
                      Originally posted by dominus
                      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

My 87 came with a hard case.

Comment

I've got one from the late 80's, early 90's. The fact that I've kept it for 30 years should be worth something. I really do like it, but it's not the first guitar I reach for. Overall, I'd buy it again.

Comment

I dont own any 550s, but they do kick much butt!

Back in '99, i had a choice of a 550, a 570, a 520, and the 520qs.

The internet told me that middle pickups were bad (lol) so i looked more at the HH 520 models. Out of those, i felt the mahogany ones were a bit different and special, so bought the 520qs.

It is still with me 22 years later and is now a main player. every pickup i tried sounds better in this guitar than any others. Its crazy.

I so own and rg3xxv (its a 25th anni reissue of the rg565), and an rg921 (hardtail)

I did get a chance to play a few of the genesis 550s. They feel like an rg should, and have the right bridge. Swap the pickups and never think about it again, they are that good.

i would choose the purple one over the others. So pretty.

Comment

i had an old rg550 and it was a terrific guitar! havent played the new ones though. i really liked the v1 neck but swapped the bridge for a fred

Comment

Working...
                              X