No announcement yet.

Vintage modified - push in trem issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage modified - push in trem issues?

Any issues with the push in tremolo bar on the vintage modified Squier strats? Collar gets loose or anything? Do they need maintenance or any kind of attention? Issues with removing and replacing the bar repeatedly over the years?

Asking because I just nabbed a 2013 Squier VM Strat in a trade and the guitar plays awesome, I just haven't seen the push-in tremolo before. Other push-in trems I've seen have a plastic collar, and I can imagine that wearing out over time like any plastic part would under pressure. Also, I've definitely broken off a screw-in tremolo bar before under heavy use, so just thinking through the potential disaster scenarios, lol.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
    Any issues with the push in tremolo bar on the vintage modified Squier strats? Collar gets loose or anything? Do they need maintenance or any kind of attention? Issues with removing and replacing the bar repeatedly over the years?

Asking because I just nabbed a 2013 Squier VM Strat in a trade and the guitar plays awesome, I just haven't seen the push-in tremolo before. Other push-in trems I've seen have a plastic collar, and I can imagine that wearing out over time like any plastic part would under pressure. Also, I've definitely broken off a screw-in tremolo bar before under heavy use, so just thinking through the potential disaster scenarios, lol.
    I've owned my DC127T since 1999 with a Wilkinson trem that uses a plastic bushing to tension the arm. It's holding strong to this day.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Didn't get the chance to fiddle with a the vintage trem like yours, but I really dig both Floyd (aftermarket) and Gotoh GE1996T push in arms I have on my guitars. The Gotoh has a teeny tiny allen screw to adjust the tension. Wondering if any of these can be retrofitted on a Strat vintage trem with minimal cost.

Comment

I'm not a real trem kinda guy, but I do have several Strats with both types of arms and I prefer the push in type. I like how it adds some tension to keep the bar where you want it without it just flopping straight down as in the screw in type.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

It's definitely a cool design. The screw-in is often too tight or too loose.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

At back when I had a charvette with a Jackson trem and an rg with an Ibanez trem, both were the push in variety with nylon bushings. In retrospect, I really liked both.

Comment

Working...
            X