Les Paul vs SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les Paul vs SG

Do you have a preference between the two?

It's weird with me. Some days I prefer my Les Paul and other days my SGs. There's things I do like more about an SG than a Les Paul. Mostly the weight, easier access to upper frets, and contours. In the end, though, I like them the same and happy to own both of these amazing guitars.

LP for me. It is more balanced (not neck heavy) and doesn't feel like it is falling away from me. The neck joint strap position on an SG (and to be fair, a 335 too) feels like it is always falling forward. Also, the neck pickup on an LP sounds 'right' to me, where the SG's is a little more towards the bridge which gives it a different sound.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The SG is superior; mainly in the ergonomic department.

Comment

well I am a bit like you there are days it's all SG and days that are all LP

the older I get the more I appreciate my SGs for whatever reason but the thinner body has a lot more appeal to me than it used to
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I split the difference. I like the double cut, flat top LP styles with humbuckers.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Benefits and trade-offs with each. I love both.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
              I split the difference. I like the double cut, flat top LP styles with humbuckers.
              I have a double cut, HH LP, but carved top, and I love it.

I’ve only played SGs briefly, and never stood up; does the SG sit further to the left of a right-handed player?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post

I have a double cut, HH LP, but carved top, and I love it.

I’ve only played SGs briefly, and never stood up; does the SG sit further to the left of a right-handed player?
                I've never noticed a SG sitting further left, but I really dislike the neck dive that comes with that guitar.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

SG most comfortable to play between the two. LP makes more iconic sounds than I can get out of my SG.

Comment

Of the two, I’ll take a Les Paul any day of the week, but any Strat or Tele would ahead of either.

I feel about SGs the way most of the people here do about Strat middle pickups.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i used to prefer the sg by a longshot but these days im much more lp

Comment

I can go either way. There are good and bad examples of both.
                        Originally posted by Frankly
                        PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
                        Originally posted by Diocletian
                        Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

I usually take two Les Pauls to practice but recently I have been bringing a Paul and an SG. I feel they are fairly interchangeable and the tones are close enough I do not have to putz with the EQ switching between them. I think the question is like asking my preference, a Ribeye or a Porterhouse steak. I am just happy to be able to make the choice.

Comment

Gibson SG or Gibson SG ...

Neck dive? Never with a Gibson and light weight tuners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gibson65.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	6121800

Comment

If I just want to pick up a guitar and sit on the couch and dink around, SG all day. It's comfortable, light, plays like butter.

if I want big balls tone out of a half stack and thick heavy riffs for show or recording, the LP, hands down.
                              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                              X