banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats your prefered scale length for a 6 string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have skinny fingers so frets only get crowded around the 22nd for me, but near the nut I am a little more comfortable on my Carvins.
    Anywhere within the standard gibby to fender is fine. Baritones are not for me at all. Bass is fine though since it's just single notes and no chords.

I vote 25" for perfection.

Comment

I don't really have a preference. I like them all. Occasionally even a 24 scale Mustang.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post

Easy answer is up above the 12th fret things get more cramped the higher you go. Playing really high up the neck I find the 24.75 really tight above the 17th fret.
        Been playing mostly 25 scale since 94 or so when I built a couple Carvin DC's and fell in love with that scale. Been mostly PRS or Carvin Kiesel guitars since.
        I guess the word "access" threw me off. When I hear the word access I immediately think of the contrast between a Les Paul and an Ibanez or something where the ability to grab upper frets is less restrictive due to neck joint etc. I see you were really talking fret spacing or "scale" which really has nothing to do with accessibility. I understand now.
        The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I have stubby fingers so I voted 24 3/4, but I have a couple 24” scale guitars that feel the best to me.
          Originally posted by Frankly
          PoorMan knows what everyone deserves. Everyone knows that.
          Originally posted by Diocletian
          Hi John Jolly. I like you a lot. If you would enjoy some sex please contact me. Maybe we could discuss the Les Paul guitar during it. I would like that.

Comment

Easy answer is up above the 12th fret things get more cramped the higher you go. Playing really high up the neck I find the 24.75 really tight above the 17th fret.
            Been playing mostly 25 scale since 94 or so when I built a couple Carvin DC's and fell in love with that scale. Been mostly PRS or Carvin Kiesel guitars since.
            You actually feel a difference between 24.75" scale and 25" scale above the 12th fret? Scale length difference is more noticeable at the lower frets.

Anyway, my fav is 25.5". I like the better "snap". I've got 20-30 Gibson scale guitars so it's not like I'm stuck with a particular scale (25.5") because that's all I own.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I will readily admit that Gibson-scale guitars aren't quite as comfortable to play above the 12th fret as Fender (can't comment on 25" scale guitars as I've never played one). But a lot of that is dependent on heel joint too. My Epi Les Paul, with its chunky heel, isn't easy to play up high. My Gibson-scale LTD is a different story.

I enjoy Gibson-scale guitars closer to the nut. Things are just a bit closer/within reach.

Comment

Just did a measurement to support my last statement:
                Between 2nd and 3rd frets; Gibson = 31.50mm, Fender = 32.66mm. Difference = 1.16mm
                Between 16th and 17th frets; Gibson = 13.96mm, Fender = 14.50mm. Difference = 0.54mm (Pretty doubtful you can feel a half mm difference.)

But if you're playing a chord that requires a span across 5 frets, that's almost 6mm difference between a Gibson and a Fender...enough that may make it impossible for some to play the chord on a Strat. But playing a chord on the higher frets could only be a difference of about 2-2 1/2mm which isn't nearly as bad.

Conclusion: up high on the neck there isn't much difference between a Gibson scale or Fender scale (or PRS scale)...they ALL feel cramped; lower on the neck the difference in scale length becomes very noticeable.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

Just did a measurement to support my last statement:
                  Between 2nd and 3rd frets; Gibson = 31.50mm, Fender = 32.66mm. Difference = 1.16mm
                  Between 16th and 17th frets; Gibson = 13.96mm, Fender = 14.50mm. Difference = 0.54mm (Pretty doubtful you can feel a half mm difference.)

But if you're playing a chord that requires a span across 5 frets, that's almost 6mm difference between a Gibson and a Fender...enough that may make it impossible for some to play the chord on a Strat. But playing a chord on the higher frets could only be a difference of about 2-2 1/2mm which isn't nearly as bad.

Conclusion: up high on the neck there isn't much difference between a Gibson scale or Fender scale (or PRS scale)...they ALL feel cramped; lower on the neck the difference in scale length becomes very noticeable.
                  Neat post. Appreciate it, even if I disagree on a few points.

First, you are assuming that people are playing chords only. Up high, you could well be playing single-note lines (soloing), in which case the issue of chordal spacing isn't really relevant.

Second, you're also assuming an absolute value to difference in mm in two dissimilar cases (case 1: playing near the nut. case 2: playing above the 12th fret.). And I'm not sure about that assumption. Think about trying to push a couch through a door -- that's a case where even half an inch could make all the difference to whether you can squeeze it through. Similarly, on higher frets, that extra 0.54mm could be really noticeable, especially for players with thicker fingers.

Comment

I love Gibson scale for O to 12 Fret chordal riffin

I love Fender Scale for 12 to 24 Fret note Riffin

I love 27" -28" Baritone scale the best -it's the most comfortable for my long fingers and big hands.
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 10-25-2021, 09:45 AM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post

You actually feel a difference between 24.75" scale and 25" scale above the 12th fret? Scale length difference is more noticeable at the lower frets.
                      I could tell you the difference between both scale lengths just playing up above the 15th fret for sure. 24.75 feels cramped up there.

Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like the 25.5, my thick fingers get too bunched up in the upper register of a 24.75

Comment

After having gone down the comparison rabbit hole these last few years I can say that neck shape and fret size impact the feel for me more than the scale length.

Upper ranges of a 24 fret SG does get a little tight.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                          http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

The close frets problem might be related to the type of frets you like. Most of my guitars have 6100 frets, and there just isn't much wood between them up high on Gibson scale guitars. Narrower frets might make a really big difference as far as playability goes.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

24.75 for rhythm chords
                              25.5 for leads

but I also prefer vintage spacing on both of those to go with it. So 25.5 + 53mm bridge width, and 24.75 + 49mm bridge width.

I can feel a difference in my hands while playing. I can play lead lines easier and cleaner on Fender dimensions. I start making mistakes if I try the same lines on a Gibson. And vice-versa: I can chord away complex chords all night on a Gibson, but I start getting tension and cramps doing that on vintage Fender dimensions. So I'd say that half millimeter/whatever does make a difference for complex digital manipulation. (Also worth noting I have chronic tendonitis, so I feel the difference more immediately than someone else would.)
                              Last edited by beaubrummels; 10-25-2021, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                                After having gone down the comparison rabbit hole these last few years I can say that neck shape and fret size impact the feel for me more than the scale length.

Upper ranges of a 24 fret SG does get a little tight.
                                Neck profile & fret profile & size are extremely important to me

Comment

Working...
                                X