banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I'm just going to post this and let tempers fly......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I'm just going to post this and let tempers fly......

I tried these premium Dunlop Primetone pick after a recording artist gave me one last weekend and said "you won't go back"

The picks are made from "Ultex" -some newer polymer I guess, and damn if they didn't sound and play a little better than my favorite Dunlop Tortex Jazz III yellows and definitely my regular Fender picks.

They feel fantastic to grip and are extremely responsive and generally feel a little nicer to pick with that the multitudes of picks in my studio (10 different Fender types, maybe 20 different Dunlop types, some Davas etc...)

and wait for it .....they have a little more life in the attack when recording -I tracked both ways last weekend and preferred the Primetone.

I guess I'm going to order some -and uggghh... the catch..... they are expensive.

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
    Has adventure started yet?
    Have you tried them?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

I have a pack of some kind of Primetone picks that I bought a few years ago. They were nice but expensive, and I already have like 200 of my favorite blue Tortex 1.0mm in stock.
      Nice chubby kids you got there! I'm usually .73 (yellow) for regular playing and flatpicking, .88 (green) for shred and .60 (orange) for acoustic strumming/relaxing

Comment

Get some BlueChip and Red Bear picks and then tell me Primetones are expensive
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I swear that Ultex was a brand of condoms . . .
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
            I tried these premium Dunlop Primetone pick after a recording artist gave me one last weekend and said "you won't go back"

The picks are made from "Ultex" -some newer polymer I guess, and damn if they didn't sound and play a little better than my favorite Dunlop Tortex Jazz III yellows and definitely my regular Fender picks.

They feel fantastic to grip and are extremely responsive and generally feel a little nicer to pick with that the multitudes of picks in my studio (10 different Fender types, maybe 20 different Dunlop types, some Davas etc...)

and wait for it .....they have a little more life in the attack when recording -I tracked both ways last weekend and preferred the Primetone.

I guess I'm going to order some -and uggghh... the catch..... they are expensive.
            I imagine it's probably somewhat stiffer than regular celluloid, right?
            What thickness do you think would feel like a standard medium pick?
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

OK, I got this:

"Dude, tone is in your fingers!" And in your bridge pickup... :P
              Btw do they have this in Jazz III XL shape?

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

I imagine it's probably somewhat stiffer than regular celluloid, right?
                What thickness do you think would feel like a standard medium pick?
                the .73 feels like standard medium Fender -which was un expected -I thought a .60 would have been the answer before trying them

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

the .73 feels like standard medium Fender -which was un expected -I thought a .60 would have been the answer before trying them
                  Thanks; might check those out.
                  "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I dig the Ultex material. I don't know what is different from normal Delrin, but it has more attack to me.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I dig the Ultex material. I don't know what is different from normal Delrin, but it has more attack to me.
                      Agree the Ultex has an attack very much like real torus shell and i have been running Ultex .90 Sharps for years. Only down sides are they are soft so don't last that long and the brown color blends into most anything so if you drop one they are hard to find. If you drop a Ultex and most any other regular pick on a hard surface you can actually here the difference in them.
                      Guitars
                      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I think Ultex has been around for a long time. I have some Ultex picks that are at least 10 years old but they have a smooth finish. I love those with the gripper bumps on them.
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Tone is in the pick.

Comment

Meh, whatever, No F's given.

Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i like ultex as a material a lot, never tried the fancy textured ones like that though. does it sound any different than a normal .88 ultex? i dont need the little grippy bumps and it might even mess me up since i tuck the pick between my fingers so much

Comment

Working...
                              X