Teles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teles

I'm one of those who believes I could use my Telecaster for pretty much any style and be happy with it. I've had a few, and always regretted when I got rid of them. My keeper is a '96 USA Tele Plus version 2. Originally it had 3 Lace Sensors. I've pulled the middle pickup, added a 4 way, and replaced the TBX with a regular tone pot. It has the best cleans of all my guitars, and I can tune it however low and play whatever crazy metal stuff, plus all the shades in between. I have no desire to get rid of all my guitars except for one, but if I had to, this Tele would be the keeper.

With all that said, naturally I want another Telecaster, but here's the question: Is getting another one kind of missing the point?
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    I want another Telecaster, but here's the question: Is getting another one kind of missing the point?
    Nope. I think every tele guy needs a thinline. I have a '69 MIJ RI that is my main guitar, and it has some overlap with my solid body, more traditional tele, but it does things that the solid body can't really do.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Nope. I think every tele guy needs a thinline. I have a '69 MIJ RI that is my main guitar, and it has some overlap with my solid body, more traditional tele, but it does things that the solid body can't really do.
      Now that makes sense. I’ve had a couple 335 style guitars, but always get rid of them because they’re like playing a surfboard.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Now that makes sense. I’ve had a couple 335 style guitars, but always get rid of them because they’re like playing a surfboard.
        I still own a Sheraton (loaded with TV Jones 'trons) and an Alleykat, but the thinline is easier to sling all night and cuts though better while still retaining a lot of airiness and a lot of the woodiness that a good semi-hillow archtop has.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

I have a Tele with a Hot Rails in the bridge and a Tron in the neck. The guitar is a great hard rock/metal machine

Comment

Man. I tried probably 25-35 Teles in person, and ended up with two of them. Only those two had the magic, and I too feel like you do - I can do anything I want with them, they down tune beautifully, and are just a joy to play. All the other Teles... were fine. So for me in no way would I assume that because I love my two Teles then I'll love another Tele.

I think this is a common occurrence, though. You love the **** out of a piece of gear but you want that feeling of discovering that you love the **** out of something.

If it were me I'd say nix the wanting-another-Tele idea and just go play a bunch of guitars to see if anything can equal your Tele. Maybe it'll be a Tele, maybe not.

I do like my Thinline for the weight (6.5 lbs!) and sort of raspy, throaty tone. But again there was the gauntlet of trying all those other Teles... the Thinline was literally the last one I tried after 18 months of Tele auditioning.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I did all my early guitar playing on a 335 style guitar . . . every other style of guitar feels a little too small to me. You get used to different bodies after a while.

:P
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have two teles and love them both. One has single coils and the other has humbuckers. As long as you enjoy playing them both that is all that matters.

Comment

With all that said, naturally I want another Telecaster, but here's the question: Is getting another one kind of missing the point?
                  Dunno. I've got five of them on my wall and a sixth in the works.
                  -
                  My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

I've been wanting to build a Warmoth guitar for forever... maybe it'll be a Tele style.

Comment

Is getting another one kind of missing the point?

Comment

Working...
                      X