Neat! A Jazzmaster that makes sense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neat! A Jazzmaster that makes sense.

G&L Tribute Series Doheny https://reverb.com/item/44768029?utm...ntent=44768029
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

The pickguard is so homely, though.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I like 'em. They've got better pickups, simpler switching, and a bridge that doesn't suck. If Leo had come out with these Jazzmasters for Fender I bet that we would see far fewer strats and superstrats these days.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        The pickguard is so homely, though.
        Yes. It sorta is.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I like 'em. They've got better pickups, simpler switching, and a bridge that doesn't suck. If Leo had come out with these Jazzmasters for Fender I bet that we would see far fewer strats and superstrats these days.
          Absolutely.

Comment

Cool guitar at a reasonable price. G&L does things right. Much better take on the design than Fender.

I have to agree about that pickguard though. IMO it'd look better with a tortoise guard and cream plastics.

Maybe it's just me, but does it look as if the strings may be spaced too widely on a narrow neck?
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
              Maybe it's just me, but does it look as if the strings may be spaced too widely on a narrow neck?
              I know that the default nut width on G&L guitars always feels a little too narrow to me.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

That looks better to me than most actual Jazzmasters.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I wish the Doheny had the bridge far back like a Jazzmaster. That extra string length adds mojo to the tone and feel.

G&L are great guitars.

Comment

Looks fine to me and better features and good price. Pickguard and all.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                      I wish the Doheny had the bridge far back like a Jazzmaster. That extra string length adds mojo to the tone and feel.

G&L are great guitars.
                      It probably adds to tuning instability, too, considering the shallow angle over the bridge.

Comment

Love block inlays.

JM bridge is a PITA. Go to the offsetguitars forum and see how every other thread is about problems with the bridge.

I test drove one for a couple of weeks and did enjoy the novelty of resting my hand on the extra string length and playing fingerstyle. Definitely a different feel.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                        http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

I know that the default nut width on G&L guitars always feels a little too narrow to me.
                          im with ya. 1 5/8" seems small when you are used to 1 11/16", why does that tiny bit make a difference, dunno, but it sure does

Comment

I am used to the Music Man necks that are 1 5/8, so I bet I'd dig the G&L.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X