Looking for a Tele Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Tele Alternative

Been jonesing for a Tele for a while. Don't need one, can live forever without one. Thus cheaper is better...

That said...where does one find a "budget" Tele in natural, or a light blonde? Maple neck also. I hate that orange butterscotch color!

Bonus points for a left hand neck, or way to get one!
    - Priced a Warmoth Neck already.

Alternatively....anyone build one from "almost" scratch with redeveloped parts etc? What was the bill? Like Allparts or something?

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

If you wanna build, there's a guy on ebay called Rosser Guitars that sells pine bodies in a "distressed" lacquer finish for under 150. Add a rando strat neck and you're in business.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Build that thinline if you want a humbucker tone, or build that Meteora if you want a freaky looking, trad sounding tele.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

This neck is flamey and says "The Bone" on the fretboard.

Right up your alley...

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
          What is that pine like? Is it like yellow pine at all?
          Dunno, but Leo spec'd pine for the first Teles/Broadcasters. I'm sure it'll do the job now.

Comment

Dude's a legit builder. I think he routes out pine bods for easy, extra cash.

Welcome back to Instagram. Sign in to check out what your friends, family & interests have been capturing & sharing around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Dunno, but Leo spec'd pine for the first Teles/Broadcasters. I'm sure it'll do the job now.
              Leo was interested in price as much as any other factor when picking woods for guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

Leo was interested in price as much as any other factor when picking woods for guitars.
                Absolutely. Still, if *I* were building a tele to sound like an old tele, I'd try to stay close to the original recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post

Absolutely. Still, if *I* were building a tele to sound like an old tele, I'd try to stay close to the original recipe.
                  Fender was using pine for cabinets and that's why it was used on the original Tele style guitars. It wasn't some magical formula or decision based on the merits of the wood, but you do you

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post

Fender was using pine for cabinets and that's why it was used on the original Tele style guitars. It wasn't some magical formula or decision based on the merits of the wood, but you do you
                    I'm not arguing that pine is a magical wood. I'm saying that if teles were made of pine and I wanted a tele to sound like a tele, pine should get me there.

But you do you.

Comment

Watch for a deal on a Classic Vibe. I had the see thru white pine, should’ve kept it.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Might want to look at these. The equal of anything the Fender Custom shop can build at under half the $ or less. Tons of options and finishes available and is a killer vintage spec real Tele.
                        The RETRO SOLO puts an even greater traditional spin on the Solo. Equipped with an Ashtray bridge, pickguard, and a classic control plate and layout, a timeless look pairs with the unparalleled combination of modern and vintage custom shop options offered by Kiesel. To fit the tone of a classic T-style instrument, the RS is equipped with Seymour Duncan Antiquity T pickups. According to Seymour Duncan, the pickups “give you that early-'50s [T-Style] tone.”
                        Guitars
                        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I always thought those Earl Slick teles were a cool deal. Seemed like good specs for a good price. And not just typical Tele, can be had w/P90s or a hummer in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
                            Might want to look at these. The equal of anything the Fender Custom shop can build at under half the $ or less. Tons of options and finishes available and is a killer vintage spec real Tele.
                            https://www.kieselguitars.com/series/guitar/retro-solo
                            What part of "I'm cheap" have you not figured out yet?!?!?!? LOL

I'm looking for something between a righteous Squire and a used MIM!!!
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Grab a Classic Vibe, and move on to modding it!
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X