Floyd Rose Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Saddles

Well, we have all heard stories of how inferior the Floyd Rose Specials are compared to the OFR. Well, one of the saddles on my FRS on my LTD M-400 failed today while I was changing strings. Saddle on the high E stripped out.

Can I put OFR saddles on the FRS or am I better ponying up and getting an OFR to replace it with. Have a feeling that that one saddle failed, the others will soon be not far behind.

When I replace it, any recommedations, I know of the OFR, saw Gotoh had something similar.

Just hate spending that much on an OFR when that is almost half of what I paid for the guitar a cpl yrs ago. Really dont want to stick another FRS in it unless I end up getting rid of it.
    Last edited by Hsb; 11-21-2021, 02:17 PM.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Plug'n'play. Did it to a Special myself, worked like a charm. In fact, if you slap a brass sustain block underneath it, you'll basically have a German equivalent FR, because the baseplate is the same material on the Specials too. And DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! Sorry if you knew this, but many people tighten Gloyd screws like their life depended on it...

Comment

If it were me I'd just get a set of the 1,000 series saddles and a 1,000 series block (nickle plated brass) as well directly from Floyd Rose.. The baseplates are fine on the FR Specials, it's the saddles and block that are the weak point price cuts. Probably wouldn't hurt to get a new set of string lock bolts as well.

The official home of the authentic Floyd Rose Tremolo System, Upgrades, Parts, Accessories, Audio, and more

Comment

Hah, I though the 1000 series are only available as OEM parts. In that case, that's the way to go! The only difference will be that the German saddles are a bit more rounded on the edges, but same material, less coin.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          Hah, I though the 1000 series are only available as OEM parts. In that case, that's the way to go! The only difference will be that the German saddles are a bit more rounded on the edges, but same material, less coin.
          As a whole they are only OEM on guitars or used but they sell all the parts too build one from scratch brand new.

Comment

Looks like the 1000 series saddles in black are all out of stock everywhere. Think Im planning on getting the OFR saddles, string blocks and a new brass block to replace the FRS block. What is the preferred size brass block?

Def wasnt what I was hoping to do with some of my play money but guess better than replacing the entire trem.
            Jackson Soloist 7 string
            ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Me personaly would just get the 1,000 series block. It is made out of solid brass and then nickle plated. I'm not a fan of fat blocks or L blocks at all. There should be a block size number on the block you have and I would just get a new one of the same size.

Comment

Thank ya sir, first "real" FR, previously had a Lo Pro on an old Ibanez RF570, which never gave an issue at all.
                Jackson Soloist 7 string
                ESP LTD M-400

Comment

I'd slap in a Gotoh GE1996T and call it a day (you can get one for $120-130). A whole set of German OFR saddles and a brass block will probably cost almost as much.
                  Last edited by Ashurbanipal; 11-23-2021, 06:24 AM.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashurbanipal View Post
                    I'd slap in a Gotoh GE1996T and call it a day (you can get one for $120-130). A whole set of German OFR saddles and a brass block will probably cost almost as much.
                    Yeah, that' a great option too. Though I vaguely recall some size differences between the Gotoh and OFR pivot studs/bushings. But it might not make a difference given that only one of the knives is curled on the Gotoh the other is straight.

Comment

I did find the Gotoh mentioned about for the same price as I found the saddles, string blocks and a new 1000 series brass block. I think it is a $1 difference between the entire Gotoh and the parts.

Is there an issue using the studs that are already installed or will I have to pull those and install the Gotoh studs?
                      Jackson Soloist 7 string
                      ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
                        I did find the Gotoh mentioned about for the same price as I found the saddles, string blocks and a new 1000 series brass block. I think it is a $1 difference between the entire Gotoh and the parts.

Is there an issue using the studs that are already installed or will I have to pull those and install the Gotoh studs?
                        Shouldn't be due to the straight upper knife on the Gotoh. But I can imagine that only a slight mismatch of the pivot point on the other knife causing it to be a bit "unprecise". I'm just brainstorming though, never done this kind of swap, hopefully a pro or more experienced forumite will chime in... Changing the studs could be a PITA, the Gotoh has the bigger bushing and stud, so a drill might be needed too. But again, I'm just making educated guesses here, not based on experience.

Comment

As something of a FR noob, this thread is a goldmine of info. Thanks, gents!
                          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                            As something of a FR noob, this thread is a goldmine of info. Thanks, gents!
                            It is a perversion of mine to try and convince/educate people that Floyds are not as awful and finnicky as many percieve it to be...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

It is a perversion of mine to try and convince/educate people that Floyds are not as awful and finnicky as many percieve it to be...
                              I'll get into Floyds before I seriously mess with Vibrolas.
                              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X