Little changes that have a big impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

How would you compare the Gravity Storms and the Breeds? It sounds like from our brief descriptions that they might be similar.
    Offtopic side note: I have the GS neck, not my thing in the neck position, not enough sparkle and clarity on the clean channel, but for some reason it sounds exceptionally well when you throw a lot of gain at it. Great as a bridge pickup, too.

Comment

Make sure you look in the vault to see how straps affect your tone. . .

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
        Make sure you look in the vault to see how straps affect your tone. . .
        I saw it once and was not sure if it was a joke or not... I guess I'll try with my leather, neoprene and nylon straps and see if I notice any difference...
        "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post

I saw it once and was not sure if it was a joke or not... I guess I'll try with my leather, neoprene and nylon straps and see if I notice any difference...
          I was just kidding but I do think that the material may change your attitude thereby affecting how you play.

Comment

Hello everyone! I have some updates regarding the guitar project.

The other day I went to a friend's workshop to work on the neck. Previously I had filed the fret edges and leveled and polished the frets, the change was very noticeable. At the workshop we sanded the whole neck to give it an even finished, we also sortened the headstock 4mm (3/16in) so it would fit better on the new Gator case I bought. Once it was even an clean, I applied three coats of danish clear oil (letting dry overnight between coats) and two coats of clear wood wax (also letting it dry overnight). The I rubbed the back of the neck with a rug to smother it out. The results are amazing, now it has a great touch and does not feel "cheap" anymore. I also plays and sounds great. I installed new Ernie Ball 9-46 hybrid strings on it and she was ready to go.

So, according the the initial list, this is where we are so far.
            • I think it sounds a bit too high for my taste. So I'm thinking about adding a tone control? -> Nothing for now, it may have been the settings of the iPad's amp. Through a real it sounds good to me.
            • Some of the machine heads are a bit stiff, and since they are the original cheaper ones, I might replace them.-> I new ones are on the way, so I will install them early next year. The older ones are really bad now...
            • The neck is on bare wood and has a (strange to me) dry feel. -> Done! and with great results.
            • I think, that some of the fret edges are a bit sharp. How can I smooth them out? -> Done too!
            • In my opinion, it sounds well. Would she benefit from a Black TUSQ nut and/or bridge saddles? -> The old saddles are very worn out, specially the screws. So I ordered the graphtech saddled and some string tree. Since the nut is still good, and quite firmly attached to the neck I decided to leave it as it is.
            So, this is it. Here are some pictures of the neck, I will upload more of the whole guitar soon!

Happy holidays!

Attached Files
            "I don't want to be a product of my environment, I want my environment to be a product of me."

Comment

I am happy this project is progressing nicely! I always think a tone control is a good idea, but I am one of those players that use mine all the time. A series/parallel switch can add a thinner, clearer sound that is still humbucking. With more powerful pickups, this can sort of mimic a single coil sound, but you really have to try it to see if it is your thing. Some players like it, some don't.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I am happy this project is progressing nicely! I always think a tone control is a good idea, but I am one of those players that use mine all the time. A series/parallel switch can add a thinner, clearer sound that is still humbucking. With more powerful pickups, this can sort of mimic a single coil sound, but you really have to try it to see if it is your thing. Some players like it, some don't.
                Thanks! I am still trying so, I may add the tone later on.
                I am also considering the series/parallel switch, but I just remember that my 498T is a classic single connector pickup, so it may no be so straightforward…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here a few more pictures! Still the old machine head, but the new one are on the way.

Comment

New machine heads are in!

I was able to use a column drill with a digital X-Y-Z table, so precision was 0.005 mm, amazing!

The machine heads even came with instructions and drill bit sizes to use, so they fit perfectly.

Boy, are the tight and smooth! Day and night difference with the old ones. And the different ratios really allow for a more precise tuning. And locking tuner do make it easier to string, I had forgotten all about them.

As you can see the string trees are also in, as as are the saddles (not shown). I’ll post more pictures later, but it is 99% finished. After I intonated it and adjusted the action she was playing like butter!

Comment

I still have to test the tuning stability, since the new strings are still stretching, I’ll have to wait a couple of days. Do you have any tips for stretching out new strings? Sometimes, I tuned it 1/2-1 step higher and leave it overnight and then I go back to standard tuning.

Comment

There was an Evolution installed in the bridge slot of my Lead II when I got it. I found it to be very unforgiving. As in every string squeak, or sloppy bit of playing, was reproduced, quite loudly thru my amp. It drove me nuts, so I sold it and had MJ wind me an X-1. If I'd have worked with the Evo, my playing would likely be cleaner. But it was easier to just replace it.
                        I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by waltschwarzkopf View Post
                          I still have to test the tuning stability, since the new strings are still stretching, I’ll have to wait a couple of days. Do you have any tips for stretching out new strings? Sometimes, I tuned it 1/2-1 step higher and leave it overnight and then I go back to standard tuning.

I stretch them by hand, bit by bit along the full length from bridge to nut up and down a few times per string once all are tuned to pitch, then retune, stretching individual strings more where necessary, then retune.
                          Normally at that stage they keep tune pretty well and are still spanky new sounding.

Comment

I am curious about the Ratio tuners. I hadn't tried them yet, but I can see that they would be pretty neat to have. Let me know your thoughts as you get closer to completing this.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X