banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P90 GAS-ing - Purchase Soon - What Say You Lot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

First thing I thought of, too.
    I have many guitars including a custom shop Les Paul R7. The G&L cost a fraction of the Gibson and the G&L holds it own with it. Amazing quality and tone for the price. I have a custom US G&L Fallout. I replaced the G&L P90 with a SD vintage P90. Just beautiful. All SD pickups have that same awesome tone DNA.

Last edited by esandes; 12-09-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
      If you are measuring value -one of the Yamaha Pacificas with the p90 load is probably the best guitar value on the market.
      Yes, the 502V, and it comes stock with SDs.

There's also the 510V, which has a single P-Rail in the bridge.

Besides the SDs, both have Wilkinson trems, graphite string trees/nuts, locking tuners. So they've included stuff one would normally find themselves upgrading.

There's also a model with a P90/hum combo (611V), trem or hardtail option.

Originally posted by dominus
      Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

If I build my own, which Seymour Duncan P90s would you go for?

Classic rock - metal before the kids discovered hairspray and spandex.

Comment

I can but this body for about $170 shipped. I used another body from this seller for my thinline with regular Tele pickups (SD La Brea set).

I reckon on
          • $170 for the body
          • $130 for a Mighty Mite neck (maple with rosewood or ebony fingerboard)
          • $250 for a set of SD P90s (no Chines knock-offs here matey)
          • $50 to $60 for a decent hardtail bridge (6 string)
          • $50 or so for wiring including a Switchcraft 3-way toggle
          • $50 or so for other bits and pieces
          • Total $710, say $700.

Pluses:
          1. Screw-on neck - safer if I ever drop it, just swap out the broken neck;
          2. One-of-a-kind DIY
          3. My choice of pickups, hardware, etc.
          4. Spread the cost, somewhat.
          5. The pleasure of building it.
          Minuses:
          1. Screw-on neck, no neck scallop
          2. One-of-a-kind DIY, low resale value should I ever part with my partscaster
          3. That front control route.
          4. You can't see it in the pic, but that body has a cut-out in the back for switch access. I guess I'm going to need a LP style cover for that, and on the front either fit a LP/SG switch plate or a blank one of the same sort.
          The main thing for me is that the front control route leaves me with two options.

Either I fit a full size pickguard like I've got on my already built thinline (pie attached). That covers up so much of the wood, and I really would (sorry) like to see more of the wood (sorry again) when I'm done.

The second option is to make a custom pickguard or just a cover for that control cavity. I could buy a regular thinline pickguard and chop it back,or buy some pickguard cover material and cut out a plate to just cover the control cavity. The latter appeals more, and I guess I could glue in some, say, 3/4 x 3/8 or so wood strips to form a lip I could screw a cover down onto.

What say you lot?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thinline P90 Prospect Small.png
Views:	150
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	6134486 Click image for larger version

Name:	TCWs Thinline Body.png
Views:	113
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	6134487

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
            If I build my own, which Seymour Duncan P90s would you go for?

Classic rock - metal before the kids discovered hairspray and spandex.

I'd be inclined to lean towards the p-rails. Good p-90 tones, and easier to find replacement pickups if you end up not gelling with them.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I've got P-Rails in a HH Strat. Looking for the real deal this time.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                I can but this body for about $170 shipped. I used another body from this seller for my thinline with regular Tele pickups (SD La Brea set).

I reckon on
                • $170 for the body
                • $130 for a Mighty Mite neck (maple with rosewood or ebony fingerboard)
                • $250 for a set of SD P90s (no Chines knock-offs here matey)
                • $50 to $60 for a decent hardtail bridge (6 string)
                • $50 or so for wiring including a Switchcraft 3-way toggle
                • $50 or so for other bits and pieces
                • Total $710, say $700.

Pluses:
                1. Screw-on neck - safer if I ever drop it, just swap out the broken neck;
                2. One-of-a-kind DIY
                3. My choice of pickups, hardware, etc.
                4. Spread the cost, somewhat.
                5. The pleasure of building it.
                Minuses:
                1. Screw-on neck, no neck scallop
                2. One-of-a-kind DIY, low resale value should I ever part with my partscaster
                3. That front control route.
                4. You can't see it in the pic, but that body has a cut-out in the back for switch access. I guess I'm going to need a LP style cover for that, and on the front either fit a LP/SG switch plate or a blank one of the same sort.
                The main thing for me is that the front control route leaves me with two options.

Either I fit a full size pickguard like I've got on my already built thinline (pie attached). That covers up so much of the wood, and I really would (sorry) like to see more of the wood (sorry again) when I'm done.

The second option is to make a custom pickguard or just a cover for that control cavity. I could buy a regular thinline pickguard and chop it back,or buy some pickguard cover material and cut out a plate to just cover the control cavity. The latter appeals more, and I guess I could glue in some, say, 3/4 x 3/8 or so wood strips to form a lip I could screw a cover down onto.

What say you lot?

Name:	Thinline P90 Prospect Small.png
Views:	150
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	6134486 Click image for larger version

Name:	TCWs Thinline Body.png
Views:	113
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	6134487
                Hey I recognize this thought process of going down the rabbit hole of building a partscaster! Good luck
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

IF I do a partscaster this will be #7: three regular teles, one thinline and two Strats done already.

Comment

I really like those vStreamliner Gretsches with the staple P-90s

Brave New Sound. The Streamliner Collection lets you explore new sounds and textures at an affordable price. Built for versatile tones and spectacular style, these guitars scream with modern features and vintage Gretsch stylings from the ‘40s, ’50s and ‘60s.
                    My Bands -
                    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I hate top say this...but I'd get this (used):

Or This personally....

Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm going to buy one of these next year...

Don't tell the wife though...

Name:	600-158016.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	6134744

Comment

Im with Ace -if you can find used

This is the ultimate P90s guitar -1961 LP TV Special

Somewhere between a 50s LP and a 60 SG -and the neck profile and radius is much better than an LP

I think you can get a used reissue for just over 1k

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

but damn, Epiphone LP Special SC is 400-500!

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Schecter PT Special, a mainstream brand Tele under a grand with P90 on the neck.

Comment

Working...
                              X