X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keda water based wood dye

Has anyone ever used it?
    What were your results?

I've been using Keda dyes for a couple years now... I like it.

I use the yellow and brown to make amber a lot for necks. Used red on this Yamaha bass (it was slathered in black house paint when I bought it).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	KBz6UjW.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	6134721

Name:	XgJuyHz.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	6134722
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

That red looks great!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        I've been using Keda dyes for a couple years now... I like it.

I use the yellow and brown to make amber a lot for necks. Used red on this Yamaha bass (it was slathered in black house paint when I bought it).

Name:	KBz6UjW.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	6134721

Name:	XgJuyHz.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	6134722

Have you ever tried highlighting the grain with black, brown or red, letting it dry and then going over it completely with yellow or amber?

What's your recipe for the amber?

Comment

Have you ever tried highlighting the grain with black, brown or red, letting it dry and then going over it completely with yellow or amber?
          No, but I am familiar with the technique and have been trying to talk some of my clients into springing for one.

What's your recipe for the amber?
          It's been awhile since I mixed any, but it was around 3 parts yellow and 1 part brown as I remember. Thinned down with tap water, and then built up in a number of coats until I got the color I wanted.

By the way - this Yamaha is finished with TruOil. About 10 coats on the neck and maybe 15 on the body. I did not fill the grain on the body, I wanted it to have some texture. I think it looks great - kind of halfway between satin and gloss.

aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post

By the way - this Yamaha is finished with TruOil. About 10 coats on the neck and maybe 15 on the body. I did not fill the grain on the body, I wanted it to have some texture. I think it looks great - kind of halfway between satin and gloss.
            Thanks

I think it looks great, and the halfway between satin & gloss is exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm going to look more into the highlighting technique before I commit to doing anything.

Comment

Working...
            X