No announcement yet.

New Floyd saddles not like old saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Floyd saddles not like old saddles?

I have several guitars with Floyd. Both OFR(1000) and FRS.

I bought some replacement saddles for a FRS from Sweetwater, and they are dimensionally different than the blocks on all my other guitars. On my other guitars, the part the holds the string protrudes up a few mm above the block. On the new saddles, the string is flush with the block, maybe even recessed a bit.

The blocks are not interchangeable without replacing all of them, which defeats the purpose as they are replacements for when a saddle breaks.

Has any else noticed a difference in manufacturing? On the Floyd Rose site, the majority of pics show the string elevated from the block, but there are a few pics with the strings flush with the block. I don't know if this is an intentional change or a manufacturing defect.

Anyone else see this?

Since Floyds were introduced, the blocks have varied in size due to loose manufacturing tolerances. I've know, I've ****ing measured them. Now there are multiple manufacturers, selling multiple radius options, and they all have variations from each other. Expecting aftermarket parts to fit your particular Floyd is a crapshoot at best. Suggest you buy a whole new rig, and do your research to make sure it's what you want to fit your axe. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

FU-TONE.COM : - Big Blocks - Floyd Hardware Upgrades Titanium Saddles Trem Stoppers Saddle Inserts Tremolo Bars / Arms Spring Upgrades Gorgomyte Big Blocks - 7 String Shirts / Swag Big Blocks - Ibanez Big Blocks - Gotoh Acoustic Bridge Pins Big Blocks- Jackson Big Blocks - Peavey Claw Upgrades EVH D-Tuna Build Your Bridge Instructional Videos Big Blocks - ST Big Blocks - PRS Headrush Pedalboard Exotic Wood Picks Tech Stuff Pickups Tuners Les Paul Ti Saddles Guitar Strings D’Angelico Guitars ST Bridges Guitars PMS - Pickup System Telecaster Kill Switches Locking Nuts Mini Guitars Morley Cables floydupgrades.com, big block tone, tremolos, floyd rose, brass blocks, big blocks, evh, d-tuna,
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

There's at least one place online that is milling custom saddles that are very affordable.
        Last edited by solspirit; 12-13-2021, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I stopped using Floyd's years ago for the most part. Is it possible you got the wrong parts shipped to you?
          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Maybe they're just an all-parts or another generic version? Sweetwater sells these, but is the maker OFR?

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
              Since Floyds were introduced, the blocks have varied in size due to loose manufacturing tolerances. I've know, I've ****ing measured them. Now there are multiple manufacturers, selling multiple radius options, and they all have variations from each other. Expecting aftermarket parts to fit your particular Floyd is a crapshoot at best. Suggest you buy a whole new rig, and do your research to make sure it's what you want to fit your axe. Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.
              These are official Floyd Rose parts from sweetwater. I have ordered this part, in identical packaging (but in different color) and they are identical to my guitars, but that was five years ago.

They are manufactured differently, not just in dimension. The pivot between the string holder and the block is much lower on the new saddles, so much so that they sit flush on a tabletop. All the other saddles, the pivot point is higher, such that the retaining block behind is higher and they will not sit flush on a table.

Small differences in dimension would be expected. However, this is very major. They drilled the pivot point in a different location.

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post

These are official Floyd Rose parts from sweetwater. I have ordered this part, in identical packaging (but in different color) and they are identical to my guitars, but that was five years ago.

They are manufactured differently, not just in dimension. The pivot between the string holder and the block is much lower on the new saddles, so much so that they sit flush on a tabletop. All the other saddles, the pivot point is higher, such that the retaining block behind is higher and they will not sit flush on a table.

Small differences in dimension would be expected. However, this is very major. They drilled the pivot point in a different location.
                Wow that's irritating for sure. Thanks for the heads-up, I know I'd be not happy too. Probably F.U. would be the best bet now.

Comment

Umm, sorry for the question, but sometimes I miss the obvious too... Have you ordered the correct height? In order to have a radius, the saddles are NOT identical in height... With a regular 6 string, you should see 0, 1 or 2 stamped on the bottom of the saddles, indicating 3 differents heights.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Umm, sorry for the question, but sometimes I miss the obvious too... Have you ordered the correct height? In order to have a radius, the saddles are NOT identical in height... With a regular 6 string, you should see 0, 1 or 2 stamped on the bottom of the saddles, indicating 3 differents heights.
                    I was looking to replace a corroded saddle/string clamp for an old OFR from the 80’s and I noticed the different saddle types now as well.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I was looking to replace a corroded saddle/string clamp for an old OFR from the 80’s and I noticed the different saddle types now as well.
                      I need to figure out what is going on. Is this just for FRS trems? Certain colors? Is it permanent change?

This is a BFD for anyone who plays Floyds.

I have a FRS in Dark Nickle that has two chrome replacement saddles. When I needed them, there weren't any dark nickle. But now, all the new dark nickle may be this new style. The guitar is not worth enough to buy an OFR with hardened saddles, or an OFR saddle set for that matter. TThis is mostly a FRS problem as the hardened OFR saddles don't break.

Comment

I need to figure out what is going on. Is this just for FRS trems? Certain colors? Is it permanent change?

This is a BFD for anyone who plays Floyds.

I have a FRS in Dark Nickle that has two chrome replacement saddles. When I needed them, there weren't any dark nickle. But now, all the new dark nickle may be this new style. The guitar is not worth enough to buy an OFR with hardened saddles, or an OFR saddle set for that matter. TThis is mostly a FRS problem as the hardened OFR saddles don't break.
                        I didn't know until someone on here pointed out, but you can buy 1000 series parts too, a full set setting you back less than 60 usd:

Btw if your saddles are breaking on the regular, it is a user error most of the time: too much torque used when clamping strings. I used to be guilty of it too.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

You mean different as I pointed out or different in production tolerance? If it's the latter than I'm afraid OP might need a full set...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

You mean different as I pointed out or different in production tolerance? If it's the latter than I'm afraid OP might need a full set...
                            When I went to order a replacement, I was confronted with the mandatory 0-2 type choice and went, "Huh, learn something new everyday."

Comment

Now do not make me regret acquiring my Floyd loaded LE HM Strat, after almost 40 years of exclusively cam Kahlers...
                              I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Working...
                              X