banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the darkest years of Gibson QC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the darkest years of Gibson QC?

Not just trying to bash Gibson again.

It would be helpful to me (and probably others) to know which recent years are "safer" to buy and which ones to avoid without playing first.

For some reason I think 2015-2016 were the worst but I'm not sure if I was unlucky.

I have a 2018 ES-330 done in Memphis I'm very happy with though.

I'm gonna grab a new LP soon and always wonder the same thing when I'm browsing guitars. They let me down bigtime in the late 90s once.
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

I think the late 70s were worse than more recent times.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have Gibsons from the following years: 1990, 1994, 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2019, and any issues with quality (like fret ends, nut carve) seemed to be commensurate with the price point / level of instrument and fairly common types of things across other manufacturers I have had instruments from like Fender, Gretsch, Rickenbacker, Yamaha, Regal, whatever. But that was just my experience. Others maybe had more issues with Gibson than other manufacturers. Based on my experience, I have to wonder how much of the perceived issues are magnified by the price/expectations vs actual problems unique to Gibson.

Comment

Agree with late 70s, and the 2003-05ish area ere the ones that I broke headstocks in cases (broke 3)

as for recently, my buddy has a 2016 SG where the truss ross is out of adjustment -so he has to play 12s in order to keep the neck in profile -as he doesnt want to replane the fretboard to adjust for the lack of truss range from Gibson.

I have a 2007 SG Standard that is perfect.

I just got borrowed a 2021 Gibson SG and it is damn perfect.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have it on good internet forum authority that the period from 1894 - present is the worst. Exploding headstocks everywhere!
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Nah, if we're talking pure QC like paint issues, file marks and the like then the last 10 years has by far been the worst. There were 'second' guitars sold in the 70's/80's with finish blemishes - but by now there is no way to tell what these were given the other aging effects. Nowadays these seem to be sold as completely new full priced items judging by the amount that get posted on forums.

By most accounts, the biggest issue in the 70's/80's was the mahogany density, which made for a greater range of tone than at other times. You'd get super dark guitars and then other bright ones.

But you shouldn't hit and hope when it comes to buying a Les Paul. Their multi-wood construction seems to lead to a great deal of variability. More than any other guitar I've tried, some just seem stiff and others play effortlessly.

Comment

I have 5 Gibsons ranging from 2002 - 2019 and they are all great guitars with no flaws. There is a saying that happy customers tell no one, unhappy customers tell everybody. I think the QC thing with Gibson is more myth than fact.

Comment

Seems that consistency is the biggest issue, based on people being divided on having bought one with no flaws vs one that's bleh. Unless you've personally played/inspected 50 guitars in a sitting, it's harder to be objective. For my part, I've seen some howlers over the years, and others that were fine.

The 70s-early 80s are seen as a funk because of the looser tolerances, specs deviating from 50s-60s, changes in lumber quality, and just weird stuff. Still, they built some premium things, like the 25/50 LPs, E2 Explorers and so on.

I suppose part of the reason why people rag on Gibson is because they tout themselves as a premium brand (also reflected in prices) with unparalleled cultural capital, so when a pricey guitar has flaws, folk see it as hypocritical. The histrionics with the bankruptcy, Henry J., and Caterpillars crawling over Firebird Xs adds to the drama. The market has changed as well – several makers play a high level game (e.g. PRS), and guitars under 1k have become amazing in the past decade, it's stiff competition. The name has power, but only so much, and it can be a two edged thing. In any case, it puts them under extra scrutiny.

I think a lot of people nowadays simply buy over the internet without seeing/playing, then they get their knickers in a wad when it arrives less than perfect. Gotta cop a feel, or adjust expectations if buying sight-unseen.
                  Originally posted by dominus
                  Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Yeah, Norlin era was by far the worst era for Gibson guitars. The kinds of things people criticize them for now are nothing compared to the hot garbage they put forth in the 70s. 70s Gibsons are what made the the late 50s and 60s stuff so sought after in the first place.

Comment

I have it on good internet forum authority that the period from 1894 - present is the worst. Exploding headstocks everywhere!
                      Give me a ****ing break.

I have owned Gibson guitars and basses since the mid-70's, and had vintage stuff and new. I was an authorized Gibson repair guy for about 15 years starting in the 80's. It doesn't seem to matter what year it was made - once in awhile one slips by the OC guys.

Same with Fender - owned old stuff to today. I was a Fender repair guy the same time, and their stuff had way more problems in total. I don't hear anyone making lame ass lies about them.
                      Last edited by ICTGoober; 12-22-2021, 06:46 PM.
                      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                        I think there is a lot of parroting on this topic and people just regurgitating what they have read on the Internet, back out on the Internet for someone else to read and regurgitate.
                        Agreed. Usually, when I see someone bashing Gibson it is someone that doesn't own one. Followed up with the comment they don't own a Gibson because they can get a better guitar for less money.

Comment

The easier and better question is what are the bright years for Gibson QC?
                          The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Here's my 2 cents worth.
                            I own 4 Gibson's. (3 within the last year)
                            All of them are stellar instruments.
                            none of them are top tier.
                            I have Zero complaints about anything, they all sing.
                            They are better than I deserve.

I'm pretty sure the other Steve was just joking about the headstocks... I laughed anyway.
                            https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post

Nah, if we're talking pure QC like paint issues, file marks and the like then the last 10 years has by far been the worst. There were 'second' guitars sold in the 70's/80's with finish blemishes - but by now there is no way to tell what these were given the other aging effects. Nowadays these seem to be sold as completely new full priced items judging by the amount that get posted on forums.

By most accounts, the biggest issue in the 70's/80's was the mahogany density, which made for a greater range of tone than at other times. You'd get super dark guitars and then other bright ones.

But you shouldn't hit and hope when it comes to buying a Les Paul. Their multi-wood construction seems to lead to a great deal of variability. More than any other guitar I've tried, some just seem stiff and others play effortlessly.
                              Was working for a Gibson dealer in the late 80's and it was horrific. We got guitars stamped as seconds we never found the blemish on but also high end guitars with horrific issues. It was a real crap shoot on what would show up on an order then.We sent a number of guitars right back in that era.
                              Guitars
                              Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                              Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Working...
                              X