autosplitting positions 2 and 4 using standard 5-way switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autosplitting positions 2 and 4 using standard 5-way switch

Never realized this could be done without a superswitch or half-superswitch.
    Just wanted to make sure the diagram below is viable and correct.
    Wiring experts, can you please confirm?
    Thanks very much.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Ok. I see what you've done. At first I was thrown off by the p/p, but I see that it is there to give you split option when you are playing either bridge or neck alone (in positions 1 and 5). Yes, I believe you've got it.
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 12-24-2021, 08:45 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

That's very close to the way Kiesel does it in the factory H S H guitars with a 5 way. Have 2 H H guitars that auto split the buckers in 2 and 4 from Kiesel plus one H S S. Let me see if i can find those diagrams and post them. Confused me at first when i saw it but works very well and now makes sense.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I'm clear on the pickup leads and on HSS type bridge autosplit wiring.

What I need is confirmation that in position 4, a standard 5-way will ground that far right lug, the same way it grounds the one on the left of the output lug in position 2.

Might add resistors between the DPDT and ground, to balance better with a fairly robust PATB stack in the middle.
        Resistors there won't engage when autosplitting via the 5-way, only in positions 1 and 5 when the DPDT is thrown.

PS: I'm quite clear on wiring resistor splits too.
        Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 12-25-2021, 04:45 PM.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
          What I need is confirmation that in position 4, a standard 5-way will ground that far right lug, the same way it grounds the one on the left of the output lug in position 2.
          Yes, it will.

Cool functionality that you've designed in with the push-pull switch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I think it works with color codes, but i think it is a bit confusing. The wires don‘t start on the correct spot of the bobbins.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

It will work but why you bother, given you've added a push-pull anyway, I don't know.

I've done similar on dual humbucker no muddle rigs, to give me full bridge in P1, split bridge in P2, my choice of split both in P3, split neck in P4, full neck in P5. For full both in P3 you need a superswitch, though.

Better, perhaps to route both pairs of red and white wires to the middle or common contacts on the push-pull and ground two others. Then you can have full or split humbuckers in P1, P2, P4 and P5.

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
                I think it works with color codes, but i think it is a bit confusing. The wires don‘t start on the correct spot of the bobbins.
                Yah, I noticed that. Not my diagram, just one I found using image search.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                  It will work but why you bother, given you've added a push-pull anyway, I don't know.

I've done similar on dual humbucker no muddle rigs, to give me full bridge in P1, split bridge in P2, my choice of split both in P3, split neck in P4, full neck in P5. For full both in P3 you need a superswitch, though.

Better, perhaps to route both pairs of red and white wires to the middle or common contacts on the push-pull and ground two others. Then you can have full or split humbuckers in P1, P2, P4 and P5.
                  Thanks, but I think I want automatic splits in 2 & 4. Have found that full hums combined with center aren't as useful for me. Had it wired that way for decades and seldom used the in-between positions. I think I'd prefer having three fairly Stratlike options available full time, without needing to operate an extra switch. It would be kinda nice to have a both-full-hums option, but (to me) not worth the extra complication of a Superswitch.

Appreciate the suggestion, though, and actually I might consider splitting via the DPDT only. Will give it some thought.
                  Last edited by eclecticsynergy; 12-28-2021, 09:02 PM.

Comment

My SG is wired with individual push pull coil splits because it came with those from the factory and because, of course, it has a three way toggle.

My HSS Strat is wired to auto split in P2. My SSS Strat is wired with a blender.

My HH Strat is awaiting new pickups, but I'm going to experiment with auto splits to one screw coil and one slug coil in P2, the other screw coil and other slug coil in P4, using dual volumes to control which coil / pickup dominates. If that doesn't work, back to auto splits in P2 and P4, full humbuckers in P1, P3 and P5.

One other suggestion though. Strat knobs are a PITA to actually pull IMHO. Something to do with the shape or the finger to knob friction/grip or both. Consider a push-push or a mini DPDT toggle switch instead.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeChordWonder View Post
                      My SG is wired with individual push pull coil splits because it came with those from the factory and because, of course, it has a three way toggle.

My HSS Strat is wired to auto split in P2. My SSS Strat is wired with a blender.

My HH Strat is awaiting new pickups, but I'm going to experiment with auto splits to one screw coil and one slug coil in P2, the other screw coil and other slug coil in P4, using dual volumes to control which coil / pickup dominates. If that doesn't work, back to auto splits in P2 and P4, full humbuckers in P1, P3 and P5.

One other suggestion though. Strat knobs are a PITA to actually pull IMHO. Something to do with the shape or the finger to knob friction/grip or both. Consider a push-push or a mini DPDT toggle switch instead.
                      I agree about Strat knobs and am using a DPDT toggle instead of the push-pull shown in the internet diagram.
                      My hands tend to get slippery when I play. For a push-pull I'd choose knurled Tele knobs - a much better grip.
                      I use those for the volume controls on a couple of Strats already.
                      Eventually planning a push-pull bass cut in one of my Teles with rich-sounding Rio Grande pickups.

Comment

Working...
                      X