Firebird Studio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird Studio

Ran into a childhood friend last night - he's been a kickass guitarist since grade school. Toured all over the country, long stints in the LA studio scene and playing gigs in Nashville clubs. Finally came home to Wichita, gray headed and well seasoned. Got a job at Guitar Center teaching. He was always a Gibson man - Les Paul, Explorers, SG's.... He had just bought a new Firebird, and blamed it on me. We used to sit around as junior high punks listening to Creedence and Johnny Winter. Said it was sunburst with a black pickguard and P-90's. WTH? Sure enough - a Firebird Studio. Anyone else ever seen one?

Click image for larger version

Name:	preview.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	6139165
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

I first saw the triple P90 Firebird in this book during the 90's https://www.amazon.com/American-Guit.../dp/0062731548 . About the same time I saw Gem Archer from Oasis playing one.

Comment

love that two p90 non-reverse headstock! dont love three pup gibsons but there are some great tones to be had with that middle pup

Comment

There was a heavy metal band in Boston called Big Catholic Guilt. Both guitarists played FIrebirds and their sound was huge.

Comment

I would think it would sound a lot like a plank bodied LP double cut. Definitely more bass and midrange than a Firebird pickup.

Comment

The Firebird is prolly my favorite shape. Dead sexay!

Had a Tikibird.

Comment

Mm, those came out a couple of years ago, they're set neck, I believe.

They remind me of the original 60s reverse ones which came with P90s before the non-reverse spec kicked in.
              Originally posted by dominus
              Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I've had P90s in my Kauer Banshee (firebird style) and I've seen Doug ship a ton with P90s stock.

Comment

There was a dual humbucker version as well. JeffB had one.

Comment

Yep, the Studio is set neck rather than neck through. I have two of the humbucker model.
                    Wouldn't mind having a P90 version.
                    Have never really bonded with true Firebird pickups myself.
                    Kinda wish I hadn't sold my Pelham blue 60s Firebird for $250 back in the early 70s though.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I haven't seen or played the Firebird with P90s, but I bet it would be killer. The Firebird minis are very bright and thin sounding, and P90s would give a fuller, richer tone. But, then again, I love P90s in just about anything!
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                      X