• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure where to post this: NB/GD

Click image for larger version

Name:	534F3B3E-FEB1-4B66-AD40-C49F48685360.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	6142109 But I've been treating it as more of a low guitar than a extended-range bass, so...

The strangle switch makes chords surprisingly easy to get away with, especially if you keep away from the bottom string pretty much entirely.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Very cool. I always wondered about those. Is it the Squier or fender?

Comment

Wow, that is absolutely breathtaking.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Squier. CME did a run of Shell Pink with matching headstock. I couldn't resist.

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        Very cool. I always wondered about those. Is it the Squier or fender?
        The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

Jonsed for one of those since I saw Jack Bruce and The Beatles (separately) use one. That looks like a nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
            Squier. CME did a run of Shell Pink with matching headstock. I couldn't resist.

Grats! It's beautiful!

Hope it plays well too

Comment

It does!

This model has a reputation for poor intonation, but mine came out of the box pertnear perfect, at least with the stock strings, which are admittedly VERY floppy down low, as the low E is only an .84.

I've got some different gauges coming soon, so we'll see if I run into trouble getting those intonated. Some people reverse the bridge, to give more adjustment range; some replace it entirely, for prices that frankly seem silly to me on a $500 instrument.

Originally posted by Blille View Post

Hope it plays well too

Comment

If you go thicker than .084”, it’s definitely going to sound more like a bass. I have a multiscale 8 string that’s 27.5” on the bottom, and I use a .076” for F#/drop E, specifically so it sounds like a guitar. I’ve been up to .090”, which sounds like a bass tuned up that high.

Get ready to experiment with different gauges, and also manufacturers. Once strings are getting that thick in baritone scale lengths, you really start to hear vast differences in thickness and constriction.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That IS very cool. I nearly bought one for my band back in the late 60s or early 70s.

I really like the shell pink, but I think I'm more of a traditionalist in that I like the tobacco burst for a bass (even for a bass 6).
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, I suspected as much. I tend to only play the E (and, to a lesser extent, the A) string(s) when I translation into Bass Mode. With the Strangle switch off, it does Short Scale thump remarkably well palm muted and played with a felt pick.

It's a weird voicing, to be sure, and I have no idea what I'll actually use it for, if anything. But for so little money...

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                    If you go thicker than .084”, it’s definitely going to sound more like a bass.

Comment

I saw a dude on Reddit who tunes his Vi to DADAAD and...I could actually see that being a cool and useful tuning.

Comment

Working...
                      X