Volume cuts off when turning down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume cuts off when turning down

I’m sure this has been asked or posted before, but my searching couldn’t find it.

Many moons ago (back in the 80’s), I had this problem as many others did. When trying to roll the volume down, it would simply cut off about halfway down. Trying to slowly volume up would do the opposite; just kick in halfway up. Both making volume swells impossible.

I remember there being a quick fix for this issue, and I just can’t remember (I’m old…it happens) what it was!

Im thinking it was just adding a capacitor somewhere in the chain. Would it be the same deal as adding the 331 cap between the hots on the volume pot used to brighten the tone? Or was it somewhere between the volume and tone?

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

Spray deoxit in the pot and wiggle it back and forth?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Sounds like a dirty or bad pot. Sometimes the resistive track gets worn down or dirty and creates a dead spot. If it is dirty you might hear some crackling when you roll the pot. I would try in this order.

Roll the pot back and forth repeatedly. This sometimes cleans build up on the resistive track
      Clean the pot with Detox it or a cleaner.
      If the above does not work replace the pot.

Comment

I suspect it' s a linear taper pot. In case I don't find anything wrong with a multimeter, I'd change to an audio/log taper pot of the same value.

The thing with the cap you remember might be the treble bleed mod, which preserves more high end when rolling down the volume, which one one may percieve as louder.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          I suspect it' s a linear taper pot. In case I don't find anything wrong with a multimeter, I'd change to an audio/log taper pot of the same value.

The thing with the cap you remember might be the treble bleed mod, which preserves more high end when rolling down the volume, which one one may percieve as louder.
          Thanks. To everyone.

I imagine it’s a pot type issue. Like I said, I remember this being an issue back in the 80’s, and I had the same issue in the early 2000’s.

I’ve been recently getting back to the guitar electronics. I have played Ibanez exclusively for over 40 years, and they use DiMarzio pups. Sometimes they sound good, but other times they’re a little harsh for my taste. I’ve loved SD’s ever since I first tried a set, and will replace the DiMarzio’s the first chance I get.

So, I’m currently wondering if that pot issue had to do with using the wrong type as you said. Maybe using a 250k when I should be using a 500k?

Anyway, thanks for reading my life story! haha And thanks for the advice!

Comment

The difference between 250k, 500k or even 1 meg with tone pot has less effect on the taper than linear vs. log! You only get a bit more highs on the 10 with the higher resistance of the tone pot.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
              The difference between 250k, 500k or even 1 meg with tone pot has less effect on the taper than linear vs. log! You only get a bit more highs on the 10 with the higher resistance of the tone pot.
              Well I’m just clueless and have lost all my training and schooling on electronics that I took over 30 years ago, and have never really applied other than hobby usage!

I remember how to solder! So I have that going for me. haha But, yeah. Resistance has eluded me over the years since I haven’t kept up on it. I understand it, I just can’t remember how to apply it correctly. Hell, I used to draw complex schematics ffs!

This getting old crap sucks @$$! lol

Thanks for the response and advice though! Much appreciated!

Comment

I concur - you need to make sure it's an audio taper pot, not a linear one.
                500K will sound brighter than 250K, but wouldn't affect the taper at all.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Bad potentiometer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    Spray deoxit in the pot and wiggle it back and forth?
                    Yep - and if that doesn't do it, replace the pot.

Comment

Working...
                    X