NGD - My First Telecaster Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - My First Telecaster Body

I chose the title given that my '82 Bullet S-3 neck is truly a '81 Telecaster neck with a different decal on it. The S-3 has had a Vintage Stack Tele neck pickup in it since the late 90's. Also I have a '72 Telecaster Deluxe replacement neck on my mutt Lead II. I love the necks on both these guitars.

All of these recent Telecaster topics, with these fantastic finishes pushed me over the edge. I was going to try and hold out until Fender ran a 0% interest for 36 months with Sweetwater, but the first time I took a serious look at the offerings, I found the brother from another mother of the Ibanez RG421 UnderTheFlame83 alerted me to last year. A brief side note that all of this could have been avoided if Eddie (from a different forum) would have sold me the Skittles-caster, but if I owned it I probably would not have sold it either.

Anyhow, it did ship today and should arrive tomorrow. As cold as it is here in Cowtown, I will likely let it sit for a 48 hour warm up before opening it. I think it is a cool finish, but am not sure how it would look in Firecrackle.

So here are a few of store pics in the interim. I will get some of my usual low quality cell phone pics of this and the RG posted once the Tele is unboxed. As for any formal review, I do not know F-anything about Telecasters, but if you do, and you have some suggestions, I will give it a go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	front-xlarge.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	6142484

Name:	body-xlarge.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	6142485

Name:	back-xlarge.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	6142486

Name:	backbody-xlarge.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	6142487
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Enjoy!
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Congrats! I've never heard of a Skittles-caster but it sounds deliciously colorful.

Welcome to the Telecaster club. The initiation ritual is to watch footage of Danny Gatton followed by the video where John 5 shows off his Tele collection.

Noiseless pickups are a sweet feature but even better is having both pups in series via the push/pull tone pot. 12" radius and locking tuners for the bends is also rad. I'm not sure how I feel about the "silver smoke" finish. Perhaps a white pickguard would be more fitting given that half of the guitar is white. Only other mod I'd recommend is an ashtray bridge with compensated brass saddles for the true Tele twang.
      "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

A Skittles-caster looks something like this Skittles-caster

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Originally posted by JamesPaul View Post
          A Skittles-caster looks something like this Skittles-caster
          I think you're better off with a silver smoke Player Plus Tele, but that's just my $0.02
          "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

The '72 Tele Deluxe neck on my mutt has a 12" radius. That kicks arse, but I also like the historic 7.25" on my Bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by Fender_Punk View Post

I think you're better off with a silver smoke Player Plus Tele, but that's just my $0.02
              Meh, one's tone is where they find it. Stop back after the RG421 pics are in here. I like it too, but from a cost perspective, it's not far off the Skittles-caster. Your tone is where you find it. They probably all outweigh my HK Strat, but that thing plays like a dream.

Comment

I'm thinking Counting Crows tunes, but I could be wrong - been wrong before.

Comment

That's a mighty good looking Tele.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                  X