banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HM Strat Fender 2020 MIJ used vs Charvel DK24 MIM new ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HM Strat Fender 2020 MIJ used vs Charvel DK24 MIM new ??

Hello...!

...a friend of mine is selling a Fender HM STRAT 2020 for 800 euros.... ( and i am thinking in case of buying AN upgrade bridge with Gotoh ) but i was ready to get a DK24 HH MIM brand new..

Same price in the end for both... around 1000 euros...

What would you choose and why ?? I am really confused

Thanx in advance

Charvel have a really nice neck - wider, rolled edges. Very comfy. Usually they come with decent pickups too.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      Charvel have a really nice neck - wider, rolled edges. Very comfy. Usually they come with decent pickups too.
      25.5 scale 12-16 compound radius... vs 25.1 scale vs 17 radius... - i think second choice will feel more comfortable....but my question is about their quality overall and not the specs....

Comment

Originally posted by narcsoul View Post

25.5 scale 12-16 compound radius... vs 25.1 scale vs 17 radius... - i think second choice will feel more comfortable....but my question is about their quality overall and not the specs....
        The Charvel has a wider heel, which I I think is what I find far more comfortable when playing up high on the neck. That coupled with the longer scale makes it harder to flub notes up past the 15th fret.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

ok... charvel is more beautiful ... but i am afraid of ts compound radius. I had 2-3 guitars in the past with 12-16 radius and could not manage to have the ultra low action i sued to have in my mij ibane prestige...

only a usa sl1 jackson pre fender neckhtrough was also ultra low but i am not sure it has also compounf radius or a straight one ..

Comment

If you're getting higher action on a compound radius guitar, you haven't set it up correctly. The compound radius shouldn't cause extra height.

Comment

Charvel DK24, definitely.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Personally, I'd bounce for the HM Strat. Had one in the 80's, and it was killer. No reason the new ones can't be.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Based on past experience, I will go with MIJ guitars over MIM guitars at least 99% of the time.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charvell-01-50reduction.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	6142901
                    I'm older than the moon and have never owned a fender because of their pickups and narrow neck radius on almost 999% of their guitars.

A local store handles Charvel and one day I had to give one a try. The baked finger board magically called out to me and carried me off to distant shores. The necks really are that good.

First, I bought the slate gray s-s-h 24 fret model and a year later the gold s-s-s 22 fret model.
                    Both guitars use SSL6's as the single coils. The SSH comes with a Full Shred which got switched out to a Trembucker Custom while the SSS model comes with Hot Rails in the bridge. The pickup switch selects HB coils with single coils for the in between tones.

The only thing I can say about both guitars, is that for me, they are incredible values for the money.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
                    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

I like that the HM is made in Japan, however I'd go Charvel because I prefer an alder body to the basswood of the HM and I much prefer an HH format to an HSS, I am not a basswood hater but I think alder gives you more versatility with trying different pickups as I think more types of pups sound good in alder, , actually I would take the DK24 Floyd which is mahogany with maple top, basically its an HH PC-1 for way less money and two humbuckers! also with the Charvel there's no need to upgrade the bridge. I do think the HM is a cool guitar though!
                      Last edited by soulforger; 01-12-2022, 09:59 AM.
                      Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                      Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                      Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                      Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

The original HM's had Kahler Floyd Rose Tremolos and a combination of Dimarzio and Fender pickups. The reissues have Floyd Rose Special Tremolos and no name Fender pickups.

With Charvel you get Duncan pickups and a Korean Floyd Floyd Trem.

Comment

I think the answer to this is going to come down to your preference of specs. I think it’s difficult to say broadly any more that the quality is better from one country of origin vs another. Until cost comes into play. I bet even China and Indonesia could make high quality guitars if given the resources for a high retail point.

I think that either of these guitars are going to be very well-made and similar from a quality perspective. So it’ll come down to which one has the goods you like-radius, pickups, look, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          X