No announcement yet.

Does tuner head material, affect tone?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does tuner head material, affect tone?!

Sorry- this isn't a joke question.

I'm asking; since I was watching a YouTube video of Marius Muller (norwegian guitarist), playing a custom guitar. That used bass guitar tuners! :o

- I guess he'd gotten it built that way, for some reason.

I very much want to find some rosewood/ebony tuner heads for my Epiphone Wildkat; mostly because of asthetics. And maybe save a tiny bit of weight..
    .but will this affect tone or sustain in any way?

Thanks,
    -E
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

...Is "tuner head" the correct term? I mean, the key/"ear" you turn to tune .
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Adding weight to the headstock will impact the way that the neck vibrates and could have some slight tonal difference.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

This just sounds like a Forum Deathmatch waiting to happen lol

I would say it would likely have some small impact but I wouldn't obsess over it too much
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

No

Comment

If I’m understanding correctly, a larger tuner key will allow more precise tuning by allowing smaller adjustments.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The nut material and fretboard material plays a bigger role.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Adding weight to the headstock will impact the way that the neck vibrates and could have some slight tonal difference.
                That's why Fender had those Fat Fingers or whatever they called those brass clips intended to be put on the headstock I believe.

But I wouldn't obsess about it either.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

That's why Fender had those Fat Fingers or whatever they called those brass clips intended to be put on the headstock I believe.

But I wouldn't obsess about it either.
                  I feel like I can hear a slight difference in tone if I put both a clip on tuner and a capo on the headstock of my guitar . . . but it's pretty darned slight.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I have a fatfinger on my Carvin. It makes a difference.
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

It's all in the strap buttons. Nickel strap buttons are where it's at!

Comment

Lightweight tuners do indeed sound different than high mass tuners. I don't know if just swapping out the buttons will have enough weight difference that you could certainly hear, though. It is cheap enough to try, though.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                          It's all in the strap buttons. Nickel strap buttons are where it's at!
                          This belongs in "How different straps affect my tone"

Comment

A few Strats ago, I replaced the stock late 80's MIA tuners with locking tuners of some type. I'd had the guitar for awhile and knew it inside and out. Something seemed off about it, and on a whim I put the old tuners back on, which fixed the issue. I can't say more or less sustain, or bass, or mids, or whatever, just that there was a perceivable difference I did not like.
                            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

More weight out on the extremities can add a minor amount of sustain.

It *could change tone in the absolute slightest bit.... If at all. It would most certainly be virtually impossible to measure.

That's my 2 cents.
                              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                              X