<Norm McDonald Voice>Gibson!</Voice>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <Norm McDonald Voice>Gibson!</Voice>

Securb ’s thread about the Smokehouse burst had me browsing Sweetwater for some Les Paul action. Now I know some of you like plain tops but if it’s maple and it’s a Gibson, I want some flame…. So let’s see what we’ve got.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B57B149F-0D17-4AB2-8778-53CA4E85904A.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	6143159
    Lets see, oh yeah looking good. Let’s click to see the real guitar…

Name:	D666A447-7C4D-436F-8233-AAE87E2D996B.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	6143158
    GIBSON!!!!

Come on, that’s like tribute style compared to the photo.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Ok, I want flame maple, maybe let’s look at a AAA top. Shouldn’t be necessary for a $2450 guitar, but let’s bump to $2900 to see what we get….

Advertised stock photo… hmm not very flamed…

Name:	F2E04319-0B26-48FE-9E8B-30C82FA84400.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	6143162

Anyway let’s click to see what we get.

Name:	2C3127CF-FB50-458B-98B0-00518F73A5B2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	6143163
    GIBSON!!!! That’s not even book matched for a AAA top?!
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Maybe I need to seek out the custom shop.

Ok, Gibson Custom Shop Figured Top ES-335….

Name:	16470CCD-C33E-4FA3-BDB6-84CFEB69E41B.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	6143167 GIBSON!!!!

Another non-book matched top for $5500 this time!
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Anyway just a little fun. And of course you have to read it in the classic Norm McDonald voice.

Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Love the unburst

Comment

With all of the choices of guitars available today and in so many price ranges, why in the world would you even look at Gibson. You can get a better looking guitar, better quality guitar, better playing guitar, and at only 1/2 - 1/4 the price.

If stunning looks are important, PRS is the one. You can get an SE for under $1000.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              With all of the choices of guitars available today and in so many price ranges, why in the world would you even look at Gibson. You can get a better looking guitar, better quality guitar, better playing guitar, and at only 1/2 - 1/4 the price.

If stunning looks are important, PRS is the one. You can get an SE for under $1000.
              If you can't afford a Blues Lawyer to answer that, you can't afford a Gibson so it does not matter.

But...yeah.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Gibson is a century old company that's been a vital part of 20th century music history and instrument innovation and been used by many famous players on records that have stood the test of time.

Sure my R9 wasn't cheap but it's easily the best playing and best sounding guitar I've ever had. It's also the closest thing to a real '59 LP that I'm ever going to get my hands on and way cheaper than a vintage burst. No regrets here.

You could make the same argument against Fender. Fender has guitars over 3k that require far less craftsmenship to make than a Gibson. You could assemble your own Tele/Strat or buy an off brand for less than a MIM. You can also buy a Suhr/Anderson/PRS for the same price as a Fender CS. So why do people look at Fender? Because of its history and the players who have used them.

Brand and history doesn't matter to every guitarist but it matters to enough of them that Gibson and Fender can prosper even with all the competition.
                "It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled" - Mark Twain

Comment

You can get a better looking guitar, better quality guitar, better playing guitar, and at only 1/2 - 1/4 the price.
                  That is all subjective. IMO there is nothing as stunning looking as a Les Paul and mine play better than any guitar I have ever picked up. We get it you do not like Gibson. There is no need to post in every Gibson thread to bash people's gear choices.

Comment

The Norm McDonald voiced 490t?

Comment

It's not all subjective. Certain aspects of quality and even esthetics (like good book matching) is very objective. Price is also very objective. Some aspects are neither subjective nor objective but just a matter of personal choice (like one size/shape neck may be more playable to one person than another).

This wasn't meant as a bash to Gibson...not at all. It's just an observation that there is MUCH competition and very many other brands make excellent (if not better) guitars for less money.

I, in fact, currently own a half dozen Gibsons. If I thought that these particular instruments were bash bait, I wouldn't own them.

And I certainly am not bashing anyone's gear choices. Everyone is entitled to play any gear that he/she wants...that doesn't bother me at all. And why are you only attacking me? PFDarksides posts are more incriminating than anything I said. But he absolutely has a right to what he said and implied. I totally enjoyed the video he posted. I thought his posts were very entertaining and I didn't feel like they were meant to bash anyone's gear choices either.

You also have a right to your opinions and choices...I just don't like getting attacked because of mine, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                        The Norm McDonald voiced 490t?
                        The nasal honk, it cuts through the mix!
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Well, you can take anything out of context and imply anything you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                            PFDarkside I actually like this one. I like some of the non-matched tops. Perfectly book-matched tops make me think of photoflame.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rial=234410107
                            The first Les Paul I almost bought was a Cherry Sunburst plain top. There is something cool about those non-AAA tops I love.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon
                              PFDarkside I actually like this one. I like some of the non-matched tops. Perfectly book-matched tops make me think of photoflame.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...rial=234410107
                              I do like that color the best of the three, but it pales in comparison to the “stock” photo advertising it.
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X