banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Special upgrade without routing ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Special upgrade without routing ???

I have an old jackson guitar with floyd rose special and i would like to upgrade it...but as i can from diagramm dimensions neither ( except maybe original floyd ) will fit without routing....

So you have any experience with an upgrade like that ? Am i wrong ?

Can you suggest me the best option trem ?

thank you

Any of the FR products will fit to replace the FRS. Instead of completely replacing the FRS, replace the saddles and trem block, you end up with the next step up to the FR 1000. Im in that process now, just haven't gotten around to ordering the saddles yet.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Originally posted by Hsb View Post
      Any of the FR products will fit to replace the FRS. Instead of completely replacing the FRS, replace the saddles and trem block, you end up with the next step up to the FR 1000. Im in that process now, just haven't gotten around to ordering the saddles yet.
      This is the truth.

The FRS has a solid steel plate, the only difference between it and the OFR is the saddles and the block.

If you upgrade the block for $20, it will sound as good as a real OFR. The saddles on the FRS are pot metal and more prone to breaking. I would wait for one to break and then upgrade or replace.

Comment

I agree. There's definitely a sonic difference with the all hardened steel versions. If the guitar gets to bright then it's a good host for the brass big-block too.

Comment

Yep, perfect advice. Replace block and saddles and you're all set. Just one question though.... Is it really a Floyd Rose Special and not a Jackson branded licensed bridge? Like the JT580LP or something similar? In the latter case, the regular Floyd saddles won't fit the 580LP bridge and the form of the baseplate is different (has angled "shoulders") and will have a bigger route than a FR. Floyd will fit, but ill have a swimming.pool around it.

Comment

Will OFR or 1000 series saddles fit the Special?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
              Will OFR or 1000 series saddles fit the Special?
              Yes they will, swapped some out on mine. Block should fit also but the one I received did not, screw holes didnt allign
              1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
              Jackson Soloist 7 string
              ESP LTD M-400
              Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

Anybody know if a Gotoh GE1996t is a direct replacement for the Special?
                Seems to me that just buying that bridge is roughly the same price as new saddles and block for the special. And from what I understand the Gotoh gets high praise.
                I’ve never heard anything bad about it.

Philadelphia Luthier has them for just over $125 for the Cosmo Black.

Comment

Schaller Lockmeister.
                  Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                    Anybody know if a Gotoh GE1996t is a direct replacement for the Special?
                    Seems to me that just buying that bridge is roughly the same price as new saddles and block for the special. And from what I understand the Gotoh gets high praise.
                    I’ve never heard anything bad about it.

Philadelphia Luthier has them for just over $125 for the Cosmo Black.
                    There are folks who are reusing the Floyd studs with the Gotoh GE-1996T trem, thus avoiding routing for the Gotoh studs which are wider and deeper. Not exactly a direct replacement, preferable to use the Gotoh studs.

Comment

Originally posted by AdrianSD View Post

There are folks who are reusing the Floyd studs with the Gotoh GE-1996T trem, thus avoiding routing for the Gotoh studs which are wider and deeper. Not exactly a direct replacement, preferable to use the Gotoh studs.
                      I was wondering because one side of the Gotoh knife edges are s a flat surface and not the rounded cavity. I figured that would give it a little more adjustability.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                        Schaller Lockmeister.
                        Ooh! I forgot about theirs. I’ll look into them. Thanks

Comment

The Gotoh is a direct drop in, and great quality for the price, then only issue that can come up with those is the front corners of the route if it is recessed (the corners closest to the pickups) may not be square enough. Hope that makes sense. Quality wise, the Gotoh is as good as the OFR IMHO, some would say better.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                            The Gotoh is a direct drop in, and great quality for the price, then only issue that can come up with those is the front corners of the route if it is recessed (the corners closest to the pickups) may not be square enough. Hope that makes sense. Quality wise, the Gotoh is as good as the OFR IMHO, some would say better.
                            Luckily it’s a top mount. No recess.

Comment

I emailed Floyd about the saddles. And they assured me that both the 1000 series and the original saddles will work with the baseplate from the special. They said that the 1000 series saddles are a little taller and will result in a slightly stiffer feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X