• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping a guitar

In tune or down-tuned

I would tune it down to D

Comment

I would say it depends a bit on the guitar. I also assume you are talking shipping a uesd guitar. Food for thought, most new guitars ship in tune. If a guitar is going to be in a plane, always down tune. If a guitar has a Floyd and is not being flown I would always try to keep it in tune for however it is set up to be in. Anything with a massive headstock back angle (like a Les Paul) I would detune so long as it is a fixed bridge just to alleviate string tension and pull on the neck should it be drop kicked across the shipping yard.
      The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

I'd take the tension off of the neck. It only takes a few minutes.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Tuning down may not always be necessary, but it IS always wise.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

I’ve shipped and received lots of guitars of varying construction types. Pretty sure none have ever been downtuned. I’d be more concerned with packing it securely.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                I’ve shipped and received lots of guitars of varying construction types. Pretty sure none have ever been downtuned. I’d be more concerned with packing it securely.
                BINGO! Have sold and shipped guitars al over the world both as an individual and at a couple Pawn Shops and have never downtuned one.The only guitar I would likely down tune or remove the strings on would be a arch top with a floating bridge.Can count on one hand the number of issues I have had over the years because of how I pack. I always ship in a case make sure everything in the case is secure ( had a trem bar get loose one time after the shipper really banged the guitar around and damaged both the case and the guitar) I make sure the guitar is tight in the case and many times will add packing to secure the guitar in the case. Bubble wrap the case before it goes in the box and always pad both ends of the box plus make sure I use a high quality thick guitar shipping box ect. In the winter I will wrap the case and bubble in a large trash bag as a moisture barrier also. Do this every time and you should have no issues unless the shipper gets absolutely crazy with the package and in that case insurance will cover it.
                Last edited by Ascension; 01-29-2022, 08:40 AM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The other thing to consider is if you’re going to loosen the strings, you’ll also need to loosen the truss rod.

I did loosen the strings, truss rod, and remove the floating bridge from a mandolin I shipped.
                  “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I will just ask the buyer but if they ask me if I have a recommendation, I'd like to have a quick answer. I'll just tell them that some people do & some people don't, you make the decision.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                      The other thing to consider is if you’re going to loosen the strings, you’ll also need to loosen the truss rod.

I did loosen the strings, truss rod, and remove the floating bridge from a mandolin I shipped.
                      Excellent point or it totally makes it useless

Comment

Further, a local PRS dealer told me when he gets guitars shipped in, he opens the case, strums a chord, tweaks the tuning if necessary, then hangs them on the wall.

That leads me to believe PRS ships them tuned to pitch and setup.

Comment

I've bought only 3 guitars that were shipped to me from outside Canada. One Kramer with a Floyd on it was absolutely perfect when I opened up the case!

The other two fixed bridges were slightly out of tune but rock solid after I broke them in a bit.

If we're talking acoustics then more caution maybe. When I brought a flamenco guitar back from Spain I loosened the strings completely, and wrapped the whole guitar in a towel inside the case. No idea if all of that was necessary but traveling from an Oceanside climate to frigid Canadian winter, it survived

Maybe it has to do with Gremlins from time to time?

Enviado desde mi SM-F926W mediante Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I remember my classmate getting his ES.335, that cost him 3000USD, home from shipping with a broken headstock :/

even though it was packed in a hardcase, and the strings loosened.

Good thing is, he got a nice repair, that couild barely be noticed!
                            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X