• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewmac kits?

Worth the price.

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Seriously, whats wrong with them?

Comment

I've done 1 kit, a mini Les Paul and I would say worth the price as it is super cheap.

That being said...it needed a lot of fretwork and doesn't intonate 100% (but neither have some Epiphones that I've owned before) plus if it comes pre-wired then I would just start over (pots are extremely cheap.)

Again, over all worth the price as they are really cheap but don't expect anything like a Musikraft or Warmoth–not even Allparts.

Comment

i mean, its $200. ive never seen one and i assume these things are made by cnc machine so shouldnt be awful?

Comment

I'm always tempted when they are on sale. They look nice enough.

Precision kits are pretty amazing. I have the Explorer and it's a great guitar.

Comment

even if its kinda a pos, with some extra work i assume you can fix it up?

Comment

I'd go for one of the Wilkinson kits before the others.

Comment

I havent tried one. Whats right with them?
                Low price + mediocre expectations= Contentment.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
                  I'm always tempted when they are on sale. They look nice enough.

Precision kits are pretty amazing. I have the Explorer and it's a great guitar.
                  I love my Precision kit guitars. The Les Paul Jr DC is still a work in progress. After the move I haven't been able to get it painted. It's ready for it though.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    even if its kinda a pos, with some extra work i assume you can fix it up?
                    Pretty much what I was thinking, I definitely wouldn't expect a great instrument but I think it would be fun to work on and improve.
                    I'd like to put together a Warmoth or one of the better quality "kits" but I'd like to wade into the pool rather than jump in at the 12' end.

Comment

Their Strat and Tele kits are pretty good for the price and probably half what you'd pay for a Warmoth kit.

The only guitar kit I bought from StewMac was a LP Jr. guitar. I could have easily made it from scratch, but it was on sale and very cheap and it saved me many hours of designing and routing. Everything about it was really very good except for some included instruction "update" to change the neck angle in the pocket. Big mistake! The original instructions were correct. I ended up adding a shim to get back to the original/correct angle. But that was my fault for just trusting the updated instructions and not checking it myself before routing.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I bought a SG kit for $130 because it was a closeout deal. It was worth the price I paid except I installed high quality parts, Grover tuners, Seymour Duncan 59/JB pickups, better electronics/wiring and Guitar Fetish roller bridge. The neck heel was a smidge too oversize and the frets are sharp-edged. I use this guitar with open tunings and play slide on this one.

Comment

I'll look for a strat type body on sale or close out and plan on doing a lot of work to it. I've already got pickups for it, too.

Comment

I've never built one, but they look like a good cheap practice (as in practice building a guitar) kit.

When you want to get serious, go with the ubiquitous:

Comment

So those kit guitars, before all the improvements, do you guys think they are better guitars than this? (I bought the worn cherry one in 2020 for $125.)

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...tric%20Guitar#
                              Probably not

Comment

Working...
                              X