Mid 2000's PRS Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 2000's PRS Standard

I have the opportunity to buy a green quilt USA 2006 PRS Standard 22 from a buddy, with what I believe are original pickups (HFS? Not sure) and a few small battle scars.

Non-trem, adjustable barrel-type saddles, toggle switch instead of rotary,

Doing a quick search online seems like right now these go for ~$1500 CAD (1200 USD) and yet I'm seeing 24s that go for upwards of 2k

I don't "need" another guitar but another versatile fixed bridge workhorse that can do clean to mean is tempting. Is this a good deal? If you were me, would you do it at this price?

*Edit for attached pics*

Enviado desde mi SM-F926W mediante Tapatalk

Last edited by Metalman_666; 02-07-2022, 09:06 PM.
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

no idea what they go for, but those are nice guitars

Comment

There may have been several 22-fret models called Standard in 2006.
      In addition to the core line, there were bolt-on Standard-22 CEs, and maybe Standard-22 SEs, perhaps others too.
      But the core models are great. Even better in green quilt!

Assuming it is a core Standard-22, it likely would have the Vintage Bass neck and HFS bridge for pickups.
      AFAIK all core PRS guitars (and some other models too, I think) use the long tenon neck joint for extra liveliness.

Not positive but I don't believe the the core Standard 22 hardtail came with an adjustable barrel-saddle bridge.
      I think it had a molded bridge like the hardtail McCartys. Again, not 100% sure on that.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
        There may have been several 22-fret models called Standard in 2006.
        In addition to the core line, there were bolt-on Standard-22 CEs, and maybe Standard-22 SEs, perhaps others too.
        But the core models are great. Even better in green quilt!

Assuming it is a core Standard-22, it likely would have the Vintage Bass neck and HFS bridge for pickups.
        AFAIK all core PRS guitars (and some other models too, I think) use the long tenon neck joint for extra liveliness.

Not positive but I don't believe the the core Standard 22 hardtail came with an adjustable barrel-saddle bridge.
        I think it had a molded bridge like the hardtail McCartys. Again, not 100% sure on that.

Great info! I was surprised too this wasn't the molded bridge I've seen on most

Pics attached to first post, not an SE or CE bolt, looks and feels like a solid USA set neck

• G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

Too bad about the top.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

1200 for an intact, not beat to death IS made guitar?

Yeah. I'd do it.
            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Pigbacon

Iceland?
              US made. I have huge, clumsy fingers.
              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

That's a Custom 22 not a standard. If the neck and frets are in good shape and it's not beat to heck that is a screaming deal. https://reverb.com/item/49902988-prs...-top-2002-2014
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Beautiful instrument, and a great deal. I wonder how that happened to the top? Did they drop a hammer on it?
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That is a "standard" top but the guitar is a custom 22. If it has a bit fo a thicker body it would be a McCarty. McCarty's come with the 3 way toggle and the custom 22's come with the rotary. Often times people change out the rotary for the 3 way toggle. Regardless, it is a fair price for the guitar in that condition, etc. If you vibe with it and like it, I wouldn't hesitate.
                    The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

Comment

Thanks for weighing in guys, the plot thickens (well, not really)

He let me take it home to play and the case candy confirms it is a Custom 22. I got excited because it also says Dragon II pickups, but closer inspection reveals a pair of Duncan 59s, naturally relic'd to perfection.

The bridge style still leaves me puzzled and she does have some battle scars from the previous owner before him, but it feels like a player, and dammit, I will play it!

Might as well convert this to a NGD thread because after a few days of time in my hands, I think I'mma take him up on the offer

Last edited by Metalman_666; 02-09-2022, 05:52 PM.
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

I bet that sounds great!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                          Great info! I was surprised too this wasn't the molded bridge I've seen on most

Pics attached to first post, not an SE or CE bolt, looks and feels like a solid USA set neck

Yep, core Custom 22 converted to a toggle switch, with a replacement bridge.
                          It's worth asking if the original bridge comes with it; they're solid and surprisingly lively.
                          Don't know why I didn't notice that the maple cap means it couldn't be a Standard.

Good deal there. A banged-up top doesn't bother me a bit - actually an advantage in my book.
                          You can gig that guitar without worrying about the inevitable scratches & dents that will happen onstage.

As for the pickups, I'm not a big fan of Dragons - great for high gain players but I prioritize sparkle and cleanup myself.
                          Took the original 90s Dragons (now called Dragon Ones) out of one of my PRSs, in favor of a 1985 set. More versatile.

I bet the 59s suit that guitar very well indeed and they look to be the 4-wire version so pull-splits likely have been added.
                          I imagine that's the reason behind the Tele knob, for a better grip when pulling it up.
                          You might check to see whether the split wiring has resistors, for fuller split tones. Easy to add them if it doesn't.

Unless there are playability issues, I'd snap that guitar up without hesitation.
                          Before somebody else does.

If it were mine I'd put on black pickup rings & a black Tele knob; I think that'd let the green glow a bit better.
                          But first I'd make sure it has resistor splits: straight splits on 59s are a little weak, especially for the bridge.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            Beautiful instrument, and a great deal. I wonder how that happened to the top? Did they drop a hammer on it?
                            Great question, I also noticed some hairline cracks in the finish right around the neck joint, had me worried but I think it's just the paint. Either way I spent a good 2-3 hours the other night playing it and everything felt and sounded excellent. I don't think I have ever used a lower output bridge pickup for more than a week in all the time I've played, but the slightly mushy bottom-end and overall clarity is a welcome tonal change from my other humbucker-equipped guitars. They are all med-to-high output.

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Yep, core Custom 22 converted to a toggle switch, with a replacement bridge.
                            It's worth asking if the original bridge comes with it; they're solid and surprisingly lively.
                            Don't know why I didn't notice that the maple cap means it couldn't be a Standard.

Good deal there. A banged-up top doesn't bother me a bit - actually an advantage in my book.
                            You can gig that guitar without worrying about the inevitable scratches & dents that will happen onstage.

As for the pickups, I'm not a big fan of Dragons - great for high gain players but I prioritize sparkle and cleanup myself.
                            Took the original 90s Dragons (now called Dragon Ones) out of one of my PRSs, in favor of a 1985 set. More versatile.

I bet the 59s suit that guitar very well indeed and they look to be the 4-wire version so pull-splits likely have been added.
                            I imagine that's the reason behind the Tele knob, for a better grip when pulling it up.
                            You might check to see whether the split wiring has resistors, for fuller split tones. Easy to add them if it doesn't.

Unless there are playability issues, I'd snap that guitar up without hesitation.
                            Before somebody else does.

If it were mine I'd put on black pickup rings & a black Tele knob; I think that'd let the green glow a bit better.
                            But first I'd make sure it has resistor splits: straight splits on 59s are a little weak, especially for the bridge.
                            Spot on - my buddy was the one that added the tele knob to pull split more easily. He included the original black so I will probably put that back on. Need to spend another couple of long sessions to really enjoy it but damn, I think I'm sold
                            • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Working...
                            X