No announcement yet.

Slash's 1987 Standards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m thinking that part of it had to deal with the supply chain issues and the fact that the company had to shut down for a while so they were not making any pick ups at all. And then once they finally opened up enough to start making something there just wasn’t a supply for the demand Gibson wanted or needed for those guitars so Gibson went and made their own. I could be wrong but it makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I meant, I thought the contract that has Gibson using Duncan pickups ran out, like for the Rosso Corsa which has the Duncan Slash set.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...-Les-Paul.aspx
      I don't know if we will ever know that story for real. I can't imagine Gibson would be cool with a bunch of new models using SDs. In the end, it is just confusing to consumers. The tone everyone associates with Slash is not the Gibson pickup sound.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

He played that guitar a lot at Monsters of Rock 88, Donington, UK. Google it.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
          I’m thinking that part of it had to deal with the supply chain issues and the fact that the company had to shut down for a while so they were not making any pick ups at all. And then once they finally opened up enough to start making something there just wasn’t a supply for the demand Gibson wanted or needed for those guitars so Gibson went and made their own. I could be wrong but it makes sense.
          I thought the Slash guitars came out before any pandemic shut downs? Even if they went on sale near that time, the development and manufacturing would have preceded that by a year or more.

Comment

I don't think the Slash guitars not using SDs has anything to do with shutdowns, but a condition of the contract between Slash and Gibson.

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
              He played that guitar a lot at Monsters of Rock 88, Donington, UK. Google it.
              Good idea, found these by doing just that. https://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/gu...%201988&page=2
              My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
              MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
              Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I don't think the Slash guitars not using SDs has anything to do with shutdowns, but a condition of the contract between Slash and Gibson.
                One would think that an artist of his level of pretty much household fame could tell them where to stick it if he really wanted, and have no problems getting another Derrig level maker to do him a much better signature model or two.

He must also have literally hundreds of spares to hold him over in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post

One would think that an artist of his level of pretty much household fame could tell them where to stick it if he really wanted, and have no problems getting another Derrig level maker to do him a much better signature model or two.

He must also have literally hundreds of spares to hold him over in the meantime.
                  You'd think, but contracts are a negotiation.

Comment

I fitted the A2Pros and took off the pickguard. Very happy with this pair now. I can wait a while longer for a "real" Slash Les Paul.
                    Attached Files

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
                    MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I meant, I thought the contract that has Gibson using Duncan pickups ran out, like for the Rosso Corsa which has the Duncan Slash set.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/El...-Les-Paul.aspx
                      Big difference between a limited custom shop run and standard production models. A $50 increase in materials cost is a couple hundred dollar increase to the consumer. Why bother when the Gibson pickups are close enough for most people?

Comment

that plain top burst looks damn good

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                          that plain top burst looks damn good
                          Thanks! Yeah, it does look good, and it plays and sounds great too - and, since it's had the headstock broken and is a little bit beat up I can play it without worrying too much about damaging it. It's just a really comfortable guitar to mess about with, so glad I was able to get it.

Comment

Working...
                          X